91 Confessions Of An Aerie Bra Expert
popular

91 Confessions Of An Aerie Bra Expert

Never underestimate the power of a good bra on a bad day.

22486
91 Confessions Of An Aerie Bra Expert
http://blog.ae.com/2014/06/26/its-here-aeries-new-store-design/

After working at Aerie for nearly two years, I've helped tons of women shop for bras. For those of you who aren't familiar with Aerie, it's a lingerie and apparel brand typically associated with American Eagle. Recently, the popularity of our "No Retouching" campaign has helped demystify the dreaded bra shopping experience. I know this may seem like a silly thing to talk about, but if you're a woman you know how hard it can be to find a bra that actually fits. If you're a guy reading this, I hope you learn something new about bras. Yes, this is my job and yes, sometimes it's awkward. Here's a list of things that my co-workers and I have encountered (so far).

1. You're probably wearing the wrong size and are in denial about it.

2. A bra size is just a couple numbers and letters, yet plenty of people don't understand what it actually means.

3. In simple terms, the number is your band size, or how big the bra is around your torso and the letter is your cup size.

4. It's confusing, so don't be afraid to ask us for help.

5. Even if you're absolutely 100 percent sure you are wearing the right size, we still recommend getting measured for a bra every six months.

6. Getting a bra fitting isn't a big deal and our job is to make you feel as comfortable as possible.

7. If you're not comfortable while we're sizing you, then we feel like we aren't doing our job.

8. You don't actually have to take anything off for a bra fitting. Surprise!

9. Although we will ask you to take off any loose clothing such as a sweatshirt to get a more accurate measurement.

10. We cannot get a correct measurement if you are wearing a sports bra.

11. Sports bras compress your boobs.

12. We will usually get you a lightly lined bra to put on for the sake of the fitting.

13. The tape measure isn't always going to be 100 percent accurate. It's hard to just spit out a size and expect every style of bra to fit you in that size.

14. Which is why we usually ask questions like, "What size are you wearing now? Does it feel too tight or loose around you? Do you have extra room in the cup or are you spilling out?"

15. We've found that asking these questions is much more beneficial than relying on a size alone.

16. It's obvious when people are wearing the wrong bra size.

17. Some indicators include the straps cutting into the skin, the band riding up in the back, etc.

18. We point this out to customers who are clearly wearing the wrong size and most of them are willing to try bras in the correct size.

19. Of course, there are customers who don't trust us and claim that they are wearing the right size.

20. At this point, if we can convince them to try on just one bra in the correct size, then we have succeeded.

21. Usually they will try it on, realize how good it fits and apologize for calling us out.

22. But that doesn't always happen.

23. The customer may storm out and there's not much we can do about it. We were just trying to do our jobs, after all.

24. Then there's people who are afraid to get a bra fitting.

25. Or maybe they just insist they don't need one.

26. Instead, they try on five different sizes.

27. They also leave all of the bras they tried on in the fitting room.

28. Sometimes they do the above and then finally come back and ask us for a bra fitting.

29. Customers can get emotional about their bra size. There's so much stigma associated with women's bodies and it's sad when we see women who feel like they are a burden because they have bigger boobs.

30. Never blame yourself if we don't carry your size!

31. Our extended sizes go up to a 40 DDD online.

32. We wish we had bigger sizes than that, too.

33. Honestly, a D cup is really not that big.

34. A DD is actually not that big either.

35. Yes, we do carry DDs in store.

36. We only have them in a couple different styles, but we do have them.

37. No, we don't sell chicken cutlets.

38. But we can totally get you a bra with removable air pads if you like.

39. Whenever we're explaining all the different bra frames, it feels like we're the mother and they're our children.

40. P.S. All the bra frames have girl names (Bridget, Emma, Brooke, Charley, etc.).

41. We try our best to sound professional when we describe the different types of push up as "Perky, Perkier, Whoa and Double Whoa" (Yes, it's a thing).

42. After that, it's hard for people to take us seriously. Sigh.

43. Yes, the Drew bra is being discontinued. I'm sorry you can't pretend to be a 34 D anymore.

44. Having to deal with the mom who wants "no push up at all" for her 13-year-old daughter.

45. The mom and daughter who cannot agree on anything.

46. The mom forcing her daughter to get a bra fitting.

47. Being stuck in the middle and trying to persuade the daughter.

48. Customers who don't realize the fitting room doors lock if they step outside to show their friend and having to awkwardly wait outside in their bra until we come open it for them.

49. Cringing on the inside when customers tell us they put their bras in the dryer.

50. Bras are your friends, why are you hurting them on purpose?

51. We cannot stress the importance of hand-washing and air-drying your bras enough.

52. Customers who get mad when we don't carry a specific bra style they bought three years ago.

53. They also don't like a single one of the 12 styles we carry in-store.

54. When your most popular bra (Sunnie) doesn't come in white and people almost have a heart attack.

55. Thinking, "Do people still wear white bras? Nude bras exist for a reason."

56. Dads shopping with daughters for bras... need we say more?

57. Every time we hear the name of the bra "Blakely" we think of Blake Lively.

58. Customers saying, "Did you know your bras are cheaper than Victoria's Secrets'?" Well, duh.

59. Customers who declare "I only wear sports bras" because they have given up on finding a bra that actually fits them.

60. Having to hang complicated strappy bras is a pain.

61. Customers who try to hang bras back correctly on the hangers even though they know they're probably doing it wrong. God bless them.

62. Those bras that hook in the front and customers don't seem to know how to operate.

63. Deciding bras are a nuisance and wearing bralettes for a week straight.

64. We take pride in organizing our bra/undie drawers at home.

65. "Is putting 'bra expert' on a resume appropriate/acceptable"?

66. Helping a guy pick out bras is the worst when they don't even know what bra size their girlfriend is.

67. Even worse: They show us a picture and expect us to tell them what her bra size is. Zooming in on her chest isn't going to help, man.

68. Customers who say, "I always wear the same bra all the time," and we're thinking, "I hope you don't always wear the same underwear, too."

69. You should really have at least five to seven bras. This way you never wear the same one two days in a row.

70. Don't worry, we are guilty of this too, especially when we have that one favorite bra.

71. A bra should make you feel good.

72. Finding a good bra is going to take at least 15 minutes so please be patient.

73. After awhile we get a good idea of what bra size someone is wearing.

74. Which is why we get confused when a girl asks if we have a 34 DD when she looks like she could be a 36 B. Are you shopping for yourself or someone else?

75. Please don't "fake" your bra size like that. That's why we have push up bras.

76. Sister sizes are a beautiful thing. To get your sister size, you go up a cup size and down a band size or vice versa. For example, the sister size for a 34 C is a 32 D. This is great if we don't have your size in a certain bra or your normal size just isn't fitting like it's supposed to.

77. Granted it may not fit perfectly, but it's certainly a good idea to try it.

78. Please keep an open mind about your bra size. Customers are always shocked. "That's a D. No, no there's no way. I can't be a D." Well, you are and it's about time you embraced it.

79. We hear customers say things like, "I love push up bras, they're like a pillow for my boobs" all the time. Indeed, they are.

80. Not being able to match bras to underwear because they are, "the wrong shade of blue."

81. We feel like we are a part of something when we help a mother and daughter shop for her daughter's first bra.

82. There's always those overly excited teenage girls who think they know everything about bras.

83. Working by yourself on a busy Saturday and having five people suddenly decide they want a bra fitting.

84. The struggle of wanting to buy pretty, brightly-colored bras but knowing we'll never wear them because they show through all of our shirts.

85. Every time a new bra frame is released, we usually get it for free. Free bras = pure joy.

86. Customers can get free bras too as long as they have a rewards card. For every five bras you buy within one year, you get one for free!

87. The problem is most people wait too long and a year has already passed. This is a bummer because it's supposed to be an incentive for you to change out your bras frequently.

88. We discuss bras with our friends like it's no big deal, the same way we talk about what we ate for breakfast.

89. We love when it's not busy at work and we can actually take the time to have a one-on-one shopping experience with the customer.

90. Often times, these customers will come back and specifically ask if we're working that day so we can help them.

91. In a nutshell, we are all about body positivity. We just want you to walk out of our store feeling good about yourself!