Your Major Can Buy You Happiness | The Odyssey Online

Your Major Can Buy You Happiness

Only if you choose from your heart.

3
Your Major Can Buy You Happiness
Unsplash

For most colleges and universities in the United States, students have to declare their major by the middle or end of their sophomore year. At first this seems fair in that you have already gone through almost half of your college career but before you know it it has come the time where you have to figure out the rest of your life.

The problem here is not the wide variety of majors that most schools offer, but it is the age at which students have to make this life-changing decision. During their sophomore year, students tend to be between 18 and 20 years old. This is barely 2-4 years after receiving your drivers license. It is a time where you were JUST recognized as a legal adult. It is evidently the awkward age of testing out your "adulting" skills. Most of us (since I am also a student) have not had any experience in the field we are interested in except for maybe classes, small internships or of the like. So yes, declaring a major can be difficult but in one obvious way it actually can be really easy.

Think of your favorite thing to read about or do. Not your favorite thing like sleeping or watching Netflix. Your dream. The one you have been thinking about ever since you were a kid! And not what you tell other peers just to sound smart...the thing you absolutely love and wish to do for however long you can! The thing you can never stop thinking about or making connections to in whatever you see or hear day-in and day-out. Now think of this in academic terms. Think of a potential major that can be associated with it and you got it. Think of a way in which you can apply it to the real world and benefit yourself or others with it. Connect it to a field of study that you feel passionate about and confident in.

Have multiple "favorite things" or a wide area of interests? Double major or minor. Yes this all may seem pretty broad and impractical but wouldn't you think you would be really good at something that you love?

I have had a hard time declaring my major so far in school but each time I take a different class or indulge in something of another area of study I always find myself intrigued in the ways my "favorite thing" can connect to it. If you are worried about finding a job or making enough money, put that into consideration too. But do not let it overbear your dreams. As they say, money can't buy you happiness but your major can if you pursue to do what you love. If you love something enough, you will find a way to make it work and be successful.

But do not be afraid to ask for help too. Ask others what they see you doing well in the future but do not let them make the decision for you. Have an open mind but also be very precise in the things you want. Another tip for discovering your major can be looking at the school you picked. Where is it? What is it good for? Why did you come to the place you did? It is all about looking at what you have wanted all along! So with that, maybe you realized that picking your major is not as hard as you thought.