You are Not Your Image

You are Not Your Image

You are who you want to be not what people perceive you to be.

18
You are Not Your Image
https://whatshihsaid.com/2014/03/27/the-man-in-the-mirror-an-honest-conversation-about-inequity/

The chaos of this world is rearing its head. Its monstrous appetite consumes every bad deed and thought until nothing else is left. What scares me the most is the power chaotic people seem to have because with true power, corruption is quick to follow.

Scandals are now a part of everyday life. A person’s image and reputation is now their identity. While we preach individualism, we smother any divergent thinking at its roots. We are simply sheep following the shepherd, or in this case society.

Now I do believe that society has an important structure to it, for example murder is and should be harshly frowned upon but I also believe people should be able to follow their dreams without being scoffed at or judged. For example, the idea of tattoos being unprofessional is preposterous. It’s a form of art, of expression; a literal heart on your sleeve, if I may be so bold. Yet, in job applications and work environments, it is generally considered unacceptable.

Professionalism should not be based on what you look like but rather your work ethic. Another common example of controversy in image is clothes. Women are judged by what they wear at work and school. Somethings such as shoulders are deemed as “distracting.” There are countless stories of girls being sent home for their attire, prohibiting them from learning. Today the trend of tank tops for men has resurfaced and yet they are not criticized for their “distracting” shoulders. If anything they are praised for their boldness in wearing what is commonly considered girly clothes. Even during important events clothes are criticized.

Take the Oscars for example. Women parade around in beautiful dresses and yet still are criticized for showing to much or not enough. Men wear a tuxedo and everything is right again. It is an event for actresses and actors who have worked hard to gain recognition, while the dresses are an important part as it’s always fun to see the latest fashion trends none of them should be criticized for their attire. And yet another tragic example of clothes being judged is during this Presidential election. Hilary Clinton has been criticized on her attire instead of her ideas being thoughtfully spoken of. The world is a sadder place for us all if our country cannot focus on anything else but a person’s image.

So do not let others tell you what to dress like or do. Express yourself in your own way. Be who you want to be, wear that hilarious t-shirt even if no one else gets it. Wear that huge sweater that goes down to your knees because it's comfortable. Wear that beautiful cocktail dress because it makes you feel like a princess. Wear those high heels because they make you feel powerful, or wear those flats because they make you happy. Get that tattoo because it means something to you. Do not let anyone bring you down because of your image. You are who you want to be not what people perceive you to be.