Writing A Book As Told By Parks And Rec

Writing A Book As Told By Parks And Rec

It's scary, but there are others who can understand the struggle.

12
Writing A Book As Told By Parks And Rec

I once read a quote that went something like this: For most people writing a novel is a one day event, such as one day I'll write a novel'. It's a nice reminder that although everyone might be wishing to write, those of us who do put pen to paper (or fingers to keys) get to experience the ups and downs of every day writing.

1. The initial idea

It's a strike of lightning, you're finding your notebook and writing it down immediately.

2. Fleshing out the idea

It's fun and vital. Most importantly, the idea is still so new that you feel like a genius.

3. The first few chapters

You're still feeling pretty fresh, probably a little bit too fresh. When you come back to the first chapter you'll most likely hate it.

4. The middle slump

You're wondering if this book is any good. Did you see an episode of Friends with the same plot? You should just stop.

6. Seeking encouragement

Your writer friends probably understand the struggle you're going through. If you don't have any writer friends, let your mom be your cheerleader, she believes in you.

5. Bouncing back from the middle slump

You're working pretty much 24/7 and maybe not sleeping because of it. It's fine, it's not like writing can be done in a timely manner.

6. Nearing the end

You thought you had a plan, but so much has changed since you had that initial idea.

7. Actually typing the last word

It's time to celebrate. Run around your apartment, high five your roommates, call your dad and take yourself out to dinner.

8. Continuing to celebrate

Go out for dinner, dance around the apartment, this is a worthy accomplishment.

9. Printing to edit

It takes an eternity for all of the pages to come out and you know that soon every page will have editing marks all over it anyways.

10. Having people read it

Everyone is going to have good things and bad things to say about it. Some might have one too many suggestions, but suggestions you can ignore are better than having none to review.

11. Editing the first time

How could you have let anyone read your first draft? How could they tell you it was good?

12. Editing and editing.... and editing some more

You're tired of reading the same story line over and over again, it starts to get bland. But the pieces start to fall together and it makes it a little more tolerable.

13. Looking at the "final" draft

You're probably not actually done, but for now you'll say you are. It feels good. It feels better than Ben's claymation movie at least.

14. Celebrate a little more

Maybe start sending it out to actual people who aren't your mom and best friend when you're done being proud of yourself.

15. Get ready to start all over again with another idea

It's the ciiiiiiiircle of liiiiiiife. You might have a little down time in between stories, but you're probably going to get swept away again pretty soon.