Words to Live By: Family, Faith, Fellowship | The Odyssey Online

Words to Live By: Family, Faith, Fellowship

12
Antonio Perez

Having a base, or foundation, is something that many people find comfort in. The base is something they can plug into whenever they are faced with adversity or difficulty. For Lisa Pritchard, that base is found in her family, her faith, and her fellowship.

Lisa is one of eight Strategic Account Executives for KCRG-TV9 in Cedar Rapids. In this position, she handles the sales of local advertising space for the television station. KCRG-TV9 is the ABC affiliate in Cedar Rapids, also servicing news bureaus in Dubuque and Iowa City.

Family

Being in a world that forces women to choose between having a career and having a family, Pritchard has been able to have both. “[Being a wife and mother] is my best job, though my hardest, it is the one I am by far most proud of” said Pritchard.

After having her first son, Sam, Pritchard spent nearly twelve years as a stay at home wife. When she re-entered the workforce, she began as the PR Officer for Red, Hot, Blue, a barbecue restaurant in Waterloo, Iowa.

“My most memorable moments have been creating a family” said Pritchard. Rod Pritchard, Secretary of Coe College, is her husband. The Pritchards have two sons, Sam and Ben.

When Pritchard speaks of her husband, she speaks with the utmost of respect, “I am amazed at the amount of time and energy Rod puts into the classes he teaches. On a professional level, he puts a lot of time into his work.”

Faith

Pritchard credits her faith as being the root of her success. Overcoming much adversity, it is hard to tell there were ever low points of her life. Three challenges Pritchard speaks of are; her father being a recovering alcoholic, a brother committing suicide, and not beginning to talk until much later than most children.

“I believe my purpose is to keep my eyes and ears open, and enjoy the ride” says Pritchard when asked about her purpose in relation to her faith. Faith is the one thing that has most cultivated her professional and personal development. Pritchard is a member of St. Mark’s Lutheran Church in Cedar Rapids.

Pritchard grew up in a small town about an hour from Cedar Rapids, named Dysart. Pritchard’s high school graduating class was a total of 49. Many would wonder how she got interested in such a profession that is heavily focused in larger cities. To this, she answers, “Growing up, I always knew I wanted to be on T.V.”

Fellowship

Working in the umbrella profession of Marketing for nearly thirty years, Pritchard holds true one thing that has kept her successful. “Just be kind to people,” said Pritchard. “Just be kind.” Being kind and relational to those around her has helped propel her in ways that she could not imagine.

“I always ask where people are from, I always try and make a connection.” Says Pritchard. Making connections with people is not an easy task for many, but for Pritchard it is a seemingly easy task.

Pritchard was at a meeting where it was jokingly said she knew someone everywhere. As the potential client said they were from North Carolina, Pritchard responded that she only knew a good friend who grew up in a very small town there, thinking there would be no connection. The potential client happened to have grown up not far from that same town.

Another adage that Pritchard lives by is, “Treat people well.” Pritchard believes that people already go through so much and it doesn’t help one or the person they are interacting with to add to that burden.

Outside of working for KCRG-TV9, Pritchard volunteers her time in the Drama Ministry at her church,Theatre Cedar Rapids, and the Daybreak Rotary Club. Theatre Cedar Rapids is a community theatre in the downtown area. The Daybreak Rotary Club is an organization that focuses on leadership and service in the community, specifically to at risk youth.These three organizations support causes that Pritchard holds near and dear to her heart.

The Future

Two ongoing goals that Pritchard has is that she wants to serve her clients better and she wants to write a book one day. “I don’t know what the book is about yet! My son’s 20 and did it” said Pritchard. To which anyone who has met Mrs. Pritchard would say, ‘You can certainly write a book.’