Winter In Warm Climates Vs. Cold Climates

The meaning of winter changes based on where you live.

844
Johnny Higgins

As the end of the year approaches so does winter. Winter has different meanings depending on where you live. Winter in warm climates is drastically different than in cold climates. Where you live has a dramatic effect on your feelings about winter. Here are some differences depending on the climate you live in.

1. Temperature

If you live in a warmer climate, winter is a nice time of year when the temperature dips into 60 degrees Fahrenheit. If you live in a colder climate, winter is a horrible time of year when you battle nature's attempt to freeze everything that gets in its way.

2. Weather

If you live in a warmer climate, typically winter weather is mild, there maybe some rain here and there. If you live in a colder climate, typically winter weather is intense. It could start snowing as early as mid-October and stop snowing as late as the end of March, or even the beginning of April if you are really unlucky.

3. Attire

If you live in a warmer climate, winter is (light) sweater weather. It's nice being able to break out the sweaters, which can accent your outfit nicely. If you live in colder climates, winter is the season when everyone looks like marshmallows. Your mother probably never let you leave the house without a hat.

4. Holidays

If you live in a warmer climate, the holiday season is a pleasant time to gather with family to celebrate respective holidays and to appreciate each other. If you live in a colder climate, the holiday season is a battle against the snow to get to where you are going. We have all seen that same situation in movies in which the character is trying to fly home for the holidays, but the snow causes the flight to be canceled.

5. School

If you live in a warm climate, going to school in the winter is no problem. Typically, the temperature outside is very close to the temperature inside. If you live in a cold climate, going to school in the winter is a mess, If you even have school. You probably got it into your head that you weren't going to school so you are both disappointed and unprepared. Then there is also the problem of getting to school. If you live close to school, you might have to walk. If you live far from school, you probably have to wait for the bus in the snow. Taking the bus to school while the roads were icy is still (in my mind) the bravest thing I've done. And yes, having a day off of school may seem great at the time, but come June, you will have to pay with the extra days added to the end of the year. There would always be school when there was snow for fear that school would go into summer. The school would be like:

6. Activities

If you live in a warm climate, winter doesn't affect your activities as much. You can still go outside and do things. If you live in a cold climate, winter derails your life. Sledding is fun for about five minutes, then you have to walk up the hill and deal with all the snow you just magically got down your pants. If you have lived through winter enough times you avoid going outside as much as possible. You run from the door to the car. You stay in bed under your warm blanket all day. You skip going to the store because your whole life suddenly has become the freezer section.

7. Your feelings about winter

If you have lived in a warm climate most of your life, you dream about snow. You think snow is beautiful and would love the chance to make a snowman, go sledding and do "winter" things. If you have lived in a cold climate most of your life, you dream about leaving the snow behind forever. You think of snow as disgusting, especially when you have to walk through the months old gray slush that is "snow". You are appalled at the idea of snow being "beautiful". You tell people that are jealous of you experiencing snow that they are crazy and have never tried to drive through the snow.