Why You Should Be Mindful And Meditate | The Odyssey Online

Why You Should Be Mindful And Meditate

It never really clicked for me...until now.

170
Why You Should Be Mindful And Meditate

Up until a couple of weeks ago, I didn't fully understand mindfulness and mediation. I knew that mediation involved sitting and concentrating on your breathing while being in the moment, but it never clicked for me whenever I sat down and attempted to do it. My thoughts would always wander and I never felt like I was accomplishing anything during my mindful sessions.

It can be difficult to calm your mind. There are so many distractions, things to do, and places to be on a daily basis in this hectic world. With that being said, taking the time to reflect and actually be present in the moment is often overlooked when it shouldn't be. So, this time around, I really did my research and tried to practice mindfulness at least once every day, slowly progressing into more difficult and longer sessions and exercises. So here are a few beneficial things that I have learned and even experienced myself while doing mindful activities and meditating.

Mindfulness helps with depression.

Instead of focusing on negative stressors, thoughts and emotions like those with depression typically experience, mindfulness teaches you to pay attention to what is happening in the present through observation. The key here is to simply take note of your surroundings without associating any judgment to them. You basically just acknowledge your thoughts and feelings as there, but don't interpret them.

For example, say you are sitting outside on a nice day in between classes. To be mindful, you would notice what others are doing around you, feel a slight breeze, and hear the noise of traffic and birds off in the distance. You simply read your surroundings and moments it just as it is, acknowledge it, and compartmentalize it so you can continue to live in the present. For those with depression, this way of thinking helps detach negativity from their lives by not dwelling on things if they are not occurring at the moment.

Now, I'm not saying that mindfulness instantly works for those with the depression, but it can help alter negative and judgmental experiences, which may prevent future relapses. As someone who suffers from depression, practicing mindful meditation that focuses on breathing and posture has helped me improve how I observe and think about things, ultimately minimizing wandering thoughts that take a turndown depression lane in my mind.

Meditating, even if only for five or ten minutes a day, helps improve concentration and decision-making skills.

Meditating, like most things in life, takes practice. While it may seem like nothing, meditation teaches you how to focus on the something (being the present and your breathing) and clears your mind if done properly, leaving you relaxed afterward.

During meditation, you should be comfortable, have good posture, and tune in on your breathing. For beginners, it may help to internally say, "I am breathing in" and "I am breathing out" with each breath to calm your thoughts at first. During meditation, you may lose track of time and have shallow breathing patterns. If done really well, you may experience physical sensations, have a stillness among your thoughts, or even fall asleep.

After meditating for a few weeks, I've noticed that I am able to focus on tasks I am doing for work or school without getting distracted as much. Also, when it comes to making big decisions, it is helpful to step back and notice the pros and cons of each, without assigning any biases to them. A study from Harvard Business Review (HBR) noted that mindfulness can improve strategy too, which typically involves employees making decisions for the company. In fact, HBR has a growing collection of practicing mindfulness in the workplace since it has been successful for businesses and employees.

Mindfulness simplifies how you experience life.

When being mindful and practicing meditation, you can improve how your mind operates by taking into focus the things happening in the present. So instead of staring at a beautiful sunset and thinking about the million things you have to do before finals, you take the time to actually appreciate what is happening in front of you. It's a liberating feeling once you find yourself able to push aside the things that are distracting you from the natural progression of time.

So incorporate some mindful activities, like controlled breathing and meditation, into your everyday activities. You won't be sorry!