Why the push-up bra is dead | The Odyssey Online

Why the push-up bra is dead

96
Why the push-up bra is dead
Victoria's Secret

Well, straight boys, I have some bad news or good news depending on how you look at it. The bad news is that you are going to continue to experience less and less cleavage every Saturday night. The good news is that an era of false advertising is dead. What you see is what you get.

For the last twenty years, the push-up has been a wardrobe staple for many women. For some reason, society says that taking the two lumps of fat on your chest and pushing them together to form a line is aesthetic and sexually appealing. The push-up bra was introduced in the 1960s as the Wonderbra. As in it made men wonder if her bosom was really as big as it appeared. It wasn’t until the 1990s when the Wonderbra truly came into its prime. Then all hell broke lose when a man by the name of Roy Raymond decided that most lingerie was ugly and opened the first Victoria’s Secret in 1977. In 1982, Leslie Wexner acquired the boutique and in 1995, the store thrived as the first Victoria’s Secret fashion show led to great economic success. Supermodel legends such as Naomi Campbell, Stephanie Seymour, and Tyra Banks pranced down a runway at The Plaza Hotel in New York City in bejeweled push-up bras that made their ta-tas look ah-mazing. Females lost it. At some point in the next five years, a push-up bra was sold in America every 15 seconds.

But why?! Yes, a $60 Victoria’s Secret “Bombshell” push-up bra can do for your chest what $12,000 and a great plastic surgeon did for Kylie Jenner’s. But despite what any saleswoman tells you at Victoria’s Secret (I should know, I worked there), no push-up bra is comfortable, and taking it off at the end of the day definitely feels better than any subtle or not-so-subtle looks men give you when you wear it. Fortunately for our mammaries, over the last two years, the bralette has become the next key undergarment for us ladies. Stores like Free People, Aerie, and Nasty Gal have truly given poor Victoria a run for her money offering collections of lacy bralettes in every size and color.

Bralettes are neat because they make you feel really pretty without making you feel uncomfortable. Also, society does this thing where if you’re a female and you wear anything that is in the slightest provocative in the daylight, you’re to be considered lesser. Slutty. Trashy. So if you ditch the push-up bra, you have one less societal pressure to worry about. Yay! Just make sure not to expose your shoulders in an American public school, because that distracts male students and could possibly lead to the destruction of the world around us. Oh no.

So ladies with all sizes of boobies, let’s unite. Give your breasts a break and slip on a nice halter bralette from PacSun or if you’re really trendy, a Calvin Klein racerback bralette. Even Victoria’s Secret has hopped on the boat for the sake of the company’s stock and now carries a wide array of bralettes. Or you could even #freethenipple. Who cares. Wear what’s comfortable for you, not what’s expected.