Why Society Should Just Accept Tattoos Already | The Odyssey Online

Why Society Should Just Accept Tattoos Already

Permanence is quite a strange thought.

26
boredpanda.com

Many people around the world each year make the conscious decision to get an image or series of words permanently onto their bodies. Whether it's a tribute to a loved one or idol who has long passed, or a design off of Tumblr that someone's been eyeing up for years, the reason for getting said tattoo is really no one else's business but the person receiving the image on their body.

A lot of people get tattoos for a different variety of reasons, but I think all of us who have ever gotten one before can agree that they are one of the most addicting things; once you have one, you can't have just one. The experience and feeling of it all, combined with the enduring image on your body makes for one of the most memorable events in a person's life.

I remember getting my first tattoo. The excitement building up to the actual appointment was almost unbearable; I remember I couldn't sit still and my friend was trying to calm me down while I bounced from wall to wall inside the little shop. I wasn't sure what to expect, how badly it would hurt or how long it would take. The experience was quite pleasant; the procedure barely hurt and I was in and out within a half an hour. The artist was professional, educated and extremely accommodating since it was my first time getting tattooed. I thought I couldn't have had a better first experience getting a tattoo; however, I was wrong.

My second tattoo was done at a quaint little shop on a busy street on a Friday night. The artist was ingenious, passionate and quite the jokester. He sketched out a beautiful deep blue watercolor tattoo for me and kept me updated throughout the entire time he was working. We talked about anything from starving artists and childhood memories to drunken clients and just plain ludicrous tattoo requests. He had my sides hurting not only from his needle but also his warm and carefree jokes.

So, then why are we constantly judging and shaming people who make the decision to take part in this art form?

When the night had concluded, I had realized that not only did I have an extravagant piece of artwork on my body, but I also had the memories, the laughter and the jokes that came with it. So many people view tattoos as taboo, but does anybody ever take a step back and consider why maybe they're not? Tattoo artists are just like any other artists, as well as the patrons. They struggle to achieve perfection and honestly, have it ten times worse than traditional artists do; at least traditional artists can start on a new canvas if they decide they don't like their previous attempt. It takes such intense focus and concentration to attain this type of perfection tattoo artists are trying to achieve.

So please, when you come across someone who has tattoos or tells you they're a tattoo artist, do not rag on them. Do not dare tell them that their pieces have no meaning, or treat them differently because they enjoy something you may dislike. It is okay to have an opposing opinion until that opinion begins to afflict someone else.

It is time for the "bad" stigma behind tattoos to end. Have respect and admiration for these types of artists, and for the people who decide to receive them. They may surprise you as some of the most caring, passionate, lighthearted and open-minded people out there, and we can definitely take away a lesson or two from them.