Why You Should Learn To Play Guitar

Why You Should Learn To Play Guitar

Experience the joys of being a guitar player.

137
Why You Should Learn To Play Guitar

Tired of spending your summer lying around watching Netflix and mindlessly surfing the web all day? Looking to take on a new hobby? Why not pick up a guitar?

Thanks to the internet, there's an abundance of resources — such as video tutorials and websites that provide chords and tabs for your favorites songs — that make it easier than ever to teach yourself to play a new instrument.

Learning to play the guitar is a gratifying experience. Here are some reasons why you should pick up a six-string:

The sense of accomplishment you feel after learning a new song.

A lot of pop songs use the same four chords, so even if you're just a beginner, there are plenty of songs that you can learn to play.

Honing your songwriting skills.

Channel your inner Taylor Swift and use music as your creative outlet.

Performing for your friends.

Brighten up any social gathering with the sweet sound of live music.

Even if you're not very good.

Who cares if you're not a lyrical genius? Your friends will love to hear what you've come up with.

Unleashing your inner rock star.

Making music has been proven to help alleviate pain and stress, so rocking out is encouraged.

The joy of learning to read tabs.

Tabs are like shorthand sheet music for guitar players, which allow you to play more intricate pieces even if you don't know how to read music.

Sharing experiences with fellow guitar players.

There's always so much to learn from other musicians.

Jamming with your friends.

There are few things I enjoy doing more than making music with my friends. Once you get a hang of some of the basic chords, gather your fellow music-loving friends and collaborate to make some tunes.

Learning to love your callouses and the lingering smell of metal on your fingertips.

Learning to play the guitar is worth all of the practice time and finger pain. You may lose a few hundred picks in the process, but the skills you gain along the way are priceless.

In the words of Radiohead, "Anyone can play guitar, and they won't be a nothing anymore."