How Sexuality In Superhero Narratives Gives Fans A Stronger Bond

It may sound annoying, but it's important.

21
Movie Pilot

During my life as a comic book reader, which started in 2008 when I was around 13, one aspect that has become a stew of controversy and radical movements in comics has been the utilization of the sexuality of superheroes and villains. Though this has been present since the lift of the Comics Code Authority Seal of Approval, the depiction of superheroes' and supervillians' sexualities has become a bit heavy-handed within recent decades. Due to the recent controversy of it being added to the animated film adaptation of the famous Alan Moore-written Joker origin-story comic Batman: The Killing Joke, sexuality has become discussed once more in the comic community.

The first time that sexuality became a large deal during my time as a comic reader was the creation of a new Spider-Man and his potential to be gay. This was followed by the marriage of Northstar and Kyle, the first gay marriage to be depicted in comics. DC implemented a lot of changes in their New 52 series in 2013, including a focus on a relationship between Superman and Wonder Woman. These, along with countless talk about the relationships and sexuality of superheroes and villains depicted in the expedient growth of the superhero film genre during this time, made the concept of sexuality a talking point in the superhero genre. At first, I found it all to be a bit too much, and I was rather annoyed with how much sexuality was starting to become incorporated in superhero comic books and films. However, over the years, the utilization of sexuality in these media has become something I appreciate.

This incorporation of sexuality has actually been going on for much longer than I originally thought. Controversy around sexuality in comics could be traced back to 1973 with the introduction of Moondragon, a bisexual lover of Thor. Over the past decade, other instances have been brought up in popular Marvel and DC series. Amanda Jarrell does a great job giving a retrospect of some of the major points during the past decade and the approach to sexuality in superhero comics on both sides.

I want to make a brief and similar statement to that of Jarrell's, but I want mine to be understood for both homosexual and heterosexual depictions of sexuality in superhero comics. We thrive in an age of mass superhero and supervillian wonder right now. Multitudes of superhero films are released each year, major changes along with smash-hit comics thrive in the industry and even complex and compelling superhero stories are being brought to television and video games in a huge way. As the genre expands and grows larger, the complexity and depictions of its characters will expand and grow as well. However, I think we should crave this expansion. The more content of a certain series or character, the more I want to know about that character's personality and beliefs. Most superheroes and villains operate based off a certain belief system anyways, and to have that belief system expanded upon is an exciting thing. While the genre expands and reaches new fans, more and more fans will identify and form bonds with their favorite characters. Allowing sexuality to come to the forefront of the genre allows fans to develop an even deeper bond, identity and connection with these characters.

What do you think about sexuality being incorporated in superhero comics and films? Let us know in the comments below!