Why My Dad Should Run For President | The Odyssey Online

Why My Dad Should Run For President

"Keep America Great"

41
Why My Dad Should Run For President
Robin MacKellar

I am probably the last person to want to cause an argument or make a scene, I always look for the best in people and hope they see the best in me too. However, in the world we live in today, among the sliding scale of liberals and conservatives with an upcoming election, I find it difficult to stand by and not express my views. So here are my views about this country and the upcoming election, and most of all -- why my dad should run for president as an Independent.

Growing up, we all tend to view our parents as invincible humans (and sometimes superheroes). They are the ones who can make the pain of a fall disappear with a band-aid and a kiss, or keep the family from fighting over the little things, like who gets the remote; and most of all they can make you happy again with a simple, "I love you". So it is natural to think that my superhero, my dad, is perfectly capable of running for President.

He is the best guy I know, and when I voiced this idea to him at the kitchen table a few days ago, he was both flattered and amused. However, this isn't just some idea I had floating around my seven-year-old head that cared more about "Barbie" than learning to do math; this was coming from my 19-year-old head that is in college and wants to see the world change for the better.

So why my dad? He has never had a political job, or run for any form of office before, and certainly wasn't that kid growing up that wanted to be president. But you know what, some of the candidates running this year, haven't held a political job before, so why shouldn't my dad run. Because, even though he hasn't been a governor or senator, he has the skills to be a great candidate.

He is unique and has an amazing mind, I mean who do you think I got my dyslexia and ADD from (it wasn't my mom). He is a scientist who is admired and well respected by all, but he is also a leader -- he knows when to be firm and can take charge to fix the situation, but also he is compassionate and acknowledges when he is wrong, even if he doesn't want to be. He puts happiness over money, humanity and justice for all humans over all, and family always first.

The United States was founded to escape oppression with the desire of freedom and the opportunities for a better life, and since then the United States has been known as the melting pot and the creator of the American Dream. So here's the real reason my dad should run for president, without the United States' warm welcoming to immigrants, I wouldn't be here.

My dad is first generation American, my grandmother is from Canada, and my grandfather from Scotland. They both immigrated to the United States for better opportunities. My dad is the middle child of five, and with the hard work of my grandparents, they sent him with his siblings to college. He continued to work hard, getting his bachelor's and doctorate from Purdue University. Then years later, he met my mom, an immigrant -- originally from Zimbabwe -- at Eli Lilly. So if you haven't figured it out yet, I am second generation American on my dad's side of the family, and first generation American on my mom's side of the family.

So why are we trying to, "Make America Great Again," when in my opinion, it never stopped being great. In the overall scheme of things, the United States is still a young country. As a country, we have to learn from our mistakes and continue to build our community as a country to keep up with this evolving world. So in my final persuasion to you as to why my dad should run for president, all I can say is, he has lived the American Dream. He has made a name for himself in the pharmaceutical world and his family growing up in the United States benefited from better opportunities. I can't say that my family make up probably isn't unique. So why are some people wanting to take away what this country was founded on.

I don't know about you, but I think it's time for someone to be president that will stand for what this country was founded on and continue to lead this country as the melting pot that it is, into the next decade.

So why wouldn't you vote for my dad to be president? All he would do is care about humans equally and make sure that people from all backgrounds, both foreign and nationally would get those opportunities that his family did years ago. Because isn't it time that we elect someone that we think will represent all citizens of our country equally and not a select few.