Why I Still Love Pokemon | The Odyssey Online

Why I Still Love Pokemon

It's more than just a game.

70
Why I Still Love Pokemon
Tumblr

Everyone has heard of this explosively popular franchise, but to so many trainers around the world, Pokemon is much more than a game. For me, I grew up watching the TV show and playing the games. They helped to distract me from anxiety, have a ton of fun, and improve friendships. So, here are some reasons why Pokemon is fantastic:

1. Pokemon literally provides you entrance to another world.

The world of Pokemon is so dense that it's easy to get lost in it. From different regions, towns, and all of the details regarding Pokemon types and abilities, there's a lot to remember. But for us fans, all of these aspects make the game feel almost as real as the world in which we live. (And let's face it, a bunch of us would love if we could live there instead.)

2. It's a fighting game, but it's not violent.

I'm not a very violent person, so most games that involve any sort of fighting usually turn me off. However, if you look at the Pokemon games with a close lens, it is clear that they are actually about animal fighting. Nonetheless, the most gruesome images in the games are the Pokemon tapping into or shooting water/fire/leaves/etc at their opponent. It's a strategical fighting game that's completely kid-friendly, and that's probably why many started playing it so young.

3. Some of them are so cute.

I feel like this one speaks for itself, but c'mon, they're just so adorable that I wanna squeeze them.

4. Some of them are super badass.

If cute isn't exactly what you're looking for, then there are tons of other cool Pokemon who look like they could destroy everything in their paths.

5. The evolution of the games is awe-inspiring.

Looking at where the games have come since the first Red and Blue versions in 1998, (I'm only counting the American versions I played, sorry, superfans.) to where the games are now leaves me speechless. What started as a very basic interface turned into a three-dimensional masterpiece, and the art only keeps improving with each version.

6. The Pokemon fandom extends all over the world.

It may not seem extravagant to those looking in from the outside, but people who play Pokemon really use it to come together. People rely on each other for help finding all of the secrets while playing through the game, but there's so much more than that. Ever since the internet features were expanded, many players involve themselves in what is known as "Wonder Trade Wednesdays" where experienced trainers trade away some jaw-dropping Pokemon just to be good people and help others out with filling the Pokedex.

7. Growing up with the original TV show was everything.

If you watched it, you know exactly what I mean. Ash, Misty, and Brock were the heroes that Kanto deserved while we loved rooting for Team Rocket even though we knew they would fail and inevitably blast off again. Then there was Pikachu with all of the sass in the world. We lived for guessing which Pokemon silhouette was shown before the commercials and felt so accomplished when we got it right. And, guys, they're on Netflix if you want to rewatch.

8. It's fun to brag about having shiny Pokemon, even if it doesn't make them any more special.

If you don't know what a shiny Pokemon is, you're probably a newcomer. Shiny Pokemon have a different color palette than Pokemon of the same species. They also shimmer when first put into battle. Although this doesn't make them better at battling, shiny Pokemon are highly coveted amongst superfans.

9. There are more Pokemon to love with each new game, and there's another version coming on November 18th!

WHO ELSE IS PUMPED?!