Why Leonardo DiCaprio Deserves The Oscar This Year | The Odyssey Online

Why Leonardo DiCaprio Deserves The Oscar This Year

It's about that time, Leo.

29
google images

With the 88th Academy Awards coming up Sunday February 28, there has been a lot of controversy being discussed about the award show. The lack of diversity has been an important issue being displayed all over social media. But another controversial issue has been discussed at the 87th award show and possibly past award shows. At the 88th Academy Award show A-list actor Leonardo DiCaprio will be nominated for his fifth time. But the controversy involving him is how DiCaprio may have been cheated out of past Oscars that he deserved to win. My article will discuss the reasons why Leonardo DiCaprio deserves his nomination for best actor in a film.

1. His fist nomination in "What’s Eating Gilbert Grape." DiCaprio played Arnie Grape who was a mentally handicapped teen who got into trouble innocently while maintaining a close relationship with his brother Gilbert Grape played by Johnny Depp. What was so phenomenal about DiCaprio's performance was that he played his role to the point that it was as if an actual mentally handicapped teen was on the screen acting. Every single detail helped his role of Arnie come to life. Every chuckle, face scratching, walking, and even the dirtiness of his fingernails portrayed Arnie Grape so well.

2. His nomination in the "The Aviator." DiCaprio played famous celebrity of the 20th century Howard Hughes. Howard Hughes was a famous movie director and aviator who suffered from extreme OCD. DiCaprio played Huges so well with his constant dedication to film making and plane flying. But what he played well was his extreme case of OCD. DiCaprio was clearly so outstanding in his role as a victim of OCD it was quite concerning at some points. A psychologist on set was concerned for DiCaprio because he got so into his role that his OCD as a child started coming back. This is extreme dedication shown of your acting that you are willing to risk reliving an old condition from your past.

3. His nomination in "The Wolf of Wall Street." F*ck, f*ck, f*ck. That word is known in the famous film because it was the number one film in history to use the word f*ck the most. Besides the fact the film used curse words, drug use, violence, and lots of sex DiCaprio gave a f*cking stunning performance in his role of famous Wall Street wolf Jordan Belfort. With his cockiness and abilities to make money DiCaprio gave a performance much more different than his past mentally disabled and OCD crazed roles. His role was energetic and confident which made him prove to not just himself but also movie watchers that whatever role he plays he can act past the expectations. Even if it involves sex and candles.

4. His nomination in "The Revenant." DiCaprio's most current nomination was his best performance of his career. DiCaprio played Hugh Glass a frontiersman who gets mauled by a bear and then left by his crew to die. What was so great about DiCaprio's role was that he gave everything to it. Every scream and cry of pain seemed so bone chilling real that you couldn’t take your eyes off the screen. He even proceeded to actually eat a raw fish and the liver of a bison. There was not a second on the screen that you thought he wasn’t giving all his acting ability to the role. Even though there were moments the set had to stay warm in negative degree conditions he still pulled through his role as lost frontiersman.

Leonardo Dicaprio deserves an Oscar this year. It isn’t just because he is good looking or has been nominated so many times they should just give it to him. It is because with each of his nominations he keeps getting stronger as an actor. Even in his roles that weren't nominated for an Oscar he still shows his abilities in every single film. The film "The Revenant" proved to everyone that he is capable of doing so much more than just acting in movies. I can't wait to tune in this Sunday to see what happens.