Why It's Okay To Transfer Schools

Why It's Okay To Transfer Schools

You'll never know if you never try.

58
Why It's Okay To Transfer Schools
Lauren Crozier

The amount of pressure put on young adults to have it all figured out by the time they get to college is absolutely ridiculous.

I know because I've felt it.

I've had pressure put on me by society, people I know and myself.

The second semester of my freshman year could not have been more confusing.

They weren't kidding when they said you truly start to figure out who you are in college. I went through a lot of adjustment periods, and I grew up a great deal. And I was left feeling stuck at the school that I was attending.

Ultimately, after much prayer, thought, and seeking wisdom from people I trust, I made the decision to transfer to a university that would be more "prestigious". I thought this place would bring me more opportunities. I thought I was following the Lord's call. After all, I wanted to be obedient and faithful.

Fast forward to August. After 13 (or more) long hours of traveling, I made it to the school where I thought I would end up graduating from. I was overwhelmed, yet thrilled to arrive and start my new journey. I remember thinking, "This is it."

Semester of fall 2015 was dubbed the hardest semester I had ever experienced. I was 770 miles away from everyone I loved. I had to find my way around an enormous campus.I didn't know a single soul at school. Meeting new people was quite a task. I thought I was following God's plan into full-time ministry.

Plot twist: God used all of this for His glory.

I truly believe God allowed for this transition to take place because I had some growing up to do.

I learned how to deal with people who are the complete opposite of me. I saw how I needed to love even when I didn't feel like it. I was challenged spiritually on a new level. I worked harder at my education than ever before. I rose up as a leader. I realized what passions God has instilled in me, and I changed my major to psychology so I can counsel people one day.

Short of the long, I ended up transferring back to the university where I originally started my freshman year. I do not regret the choice one bit and the Lord was faithful throughout the entire process. Everything had happened for a reason.

So, you could say I've done my fair share of transferring.

The pressure I felt during the decision making process was probably enough to light me on fire. Making the "right" choice consumed me.

My advice to you: don't let that happen.

As young adults, we have the privilege of changing our minds time and time again. We're allowed to make multiple attempts before we get it right.

You are not alone in this process, and you don't have to have it all figured out. God will use this experience for kingdom purposes. You will mature in ways you didn't think possible.

Do not make any decision based off what it may portray you as, good or bad. Don't be worried what people think. Don't let yourself be pressured in an unhealthy way by outside forces.

Be responsible. Pray. Think deeply about it. Pursue the trusted opinions of wise people. Read the Bible. Glorify God.

It's fair to do what you think you should do after much consideration. It won't be easy, but it will be worth it, my friend.

"For what it's worth: It's never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you're proud of, and if you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start over." - F. Scott Fitzgerald.