It’s 2018, So Why Is Rape Culture Still A Thing?

A women's nipples are seen as something to sexualize when in reality their main purpose is not for pleasure, but to sustain the life of an infant.

62
Rape Culture

Why is it that from a young age, girls are always being told that their shorts are too short? Their shirts are way too revealing and our dresses too tight? Society has shaped women into hiding our bodies because that is something that is only supposed to be seen in the bedroom. We are just a present waiting to be unwrapped later. We are more than our bodies, and they shouldn't be something we feel we have to hide.

Men are never told to put their shirts back on when it gets hot out or not wear cut off shirts since we can see their whole torso. This is because men aren't nearly as afraid of women as we are of men. I'm not saying that rape by a female is not something that doesn't happen, but I am saying the number of men fearful of this by far does not outweigh the population of women fearing rape.

I would like to know why this is. Why is it we feel the need to fear men because of the length of our outfits? If a man can take his shirt off in public why can't I? A women's nipples are seen as something to sexualize when in reality their main purpose is not for pleasure, but to sustain the life of an infant. So in what way is it not appropriate for me to have them out?

Many argue that without bras we would have more severe back problems, however what about the girls that have marks permanently made on their shoulder from where their bra strap digs into them no matter how many times they get fitted. Or what about the girls who's boobs just hurt because they are about to be on their period and putting on a bra feels like you're just constantly punching yourself in the chest. Why do we have to endure pain so that men can be comfortable or to prevent ourselves from being harassed?

Shouldn't men be taught not to sexualize women? I should be able to go in public with my stomach showing without having men catcall me. Or go to a party of any kind and not fear unwanted sexual attention. I'm sure at some point in every women's life they have feared being taken advantage of.

I'm not saying every man participates in this behavior. I have noticed more and more that men are becoming aware of the safety gap between the genders. Just yesterday I had a guy who I don't even know that well tell me to make sure I get home safe, and one of his friends even checked on us to make sure we made it okay.

It's sad that men are still doing things that warrant this kind of concern, but I'm glad to see that they are becoming aware of their fellow peers' behavior and are slowly changing their mental state. It's a long way from perfect but I believe we are slowly making our way to becoming a safe world both mentally and physically for both genders.