Why Do We Hold Things In?

Why Do We Hold Things In?

I love watching drama, but not living it.

870
Why Do We Hold Things In?

As a movie watcher, I am drawn to watching films that are filled with screaming, crying, and with all the emotions, the ones that are tear-jerkers, heart wrenching and have you on the edge of your seat and where relationships are tested with trials and tribulations and major life changes ensue.

In reality, this is the stuff that scares me the most in life. These are the situations I run away from. If there’s a way for me to avoid drama, I do, even if it means, in the end, I don’t acknowledge my feelings and I let everything bottle up inside. I hold it in for so long that I feel like I’m about to bust or explode and when that happens, I talk myself into burying my feelings even deeper. It’s like if I can it put in the back of mind, then I can forget about whatever is bothering me, getting me down and move on. The problem with that is when things from the back of my mind resurface to my conscience. I then realize all of those pent-up feelings I have, which in turn create more internal turmoil.

It’s not hard to mask this to the outside world. It’s easy to put on a smile and to engage in conversation in the friendliest manner to the person next to you. It’s a coping mechanism to act like the sunshine outside can cover up the storm that’s really inside of you. It’s easy to feel like you’re a burden not worth dealing with. It’s easy to tell yourself that you’re not worth the bother, the trouble, the inconvenience, or the nuisance that you somehow think you cause others.

I’m here to say you are wrong. I know how you feel. You are not alone. You are not the only one who feeds yourself these negative thoughts that turn into patterns and create a bad habit. It’s human to think this way. Nothing is wrong with you. You are human, don’t forget that. As much as you want to be superman or superwoman it’s OK if you can’t be. Being yourself is enough.

I can relate to being the person who would run the extra mile for a person who wouldn’t even walk another step for you. It can make you belittle yourself. You think you need to give more because if that person hasn't reciprocated the treatment you have given them then you think you are at fault for something. Trust me, you are not. You deserve to be treated with respect and if that person is unwilling to take another step, then my best advice for you would be to walk in the other direction.

And I know that sometimes it's hard to assert our feelings and to be honest with others. I'm not advising to just go around and hurt others feelings, but for the importance of your sanity and in respect towards them to express your concerns. Drama at certain points in life is inevitable. No matter how much we try to avoid it ourselves there will be instances in our life where it will appear. And whether we like it or not, we have to deal with it. We have to learn to problem solve, to use strategy, to compromise, to critically think or even plain and simple, common sense.

At the end of the day all you can do is your best. If you are honest with others, then you have done your part. Do it for your self-worth and inner peace. It's not worth holding it inside and is not going to add any benefits to your life. Do yourself a favor and speak up. This is not easy and is something I am still working on, but I'm beginning to learn that the cliché "life is short" couldn't be truer. I want to make sure no matter how short my life may be that I've done my best to make myself happy. Don't deny yourself happiness. It may come with drama, but what is the cost if you don't? Who wants to be towards the end of their life and wish they would've done more to make it better, to achieve their dreams or to be happy? Not me.