Why 2016 Was Not All That Bad

Why 2016 Was Not All That Bad

Why I liked 2016.

3
Why 2016 Was Not All That Bad

As the first week of 2017 wraps up, I can't help but look back at this past year and see how much my life has changed. I am lucky to say I achieved many goals and overcome obstacles in 2016, but also failed at plenty. Although I could look at my failures in a discouraging way, I am choosing not to because I would rather look at the positives than the negatives.

In 2016, I graduated from high school and continued a higher education in a fantastic place, New York City. I was able to graduate with the best friends who were there with me since third grade. I made countless memories, took plenty of pictures/polaroids, and grew into a young woman through these people. I moved to New York City and met amazing people who made moving away from home not so bad. I adventured the charming nooks of New York as well as the touristy parts in my first semester of college.

I ended my dance career on a high note with people who have known me since I was a little girl. I grew up with a big heart for the arts and was heartbroken when it was time to say goodbye to my second family. I danced for fourteen years with the same people and was taught by the same instructors my whole life. We ended my last year on a high note as National Champions which is a memory I'll hold close to my heart as long as I live.

I completed my first semester of college! I never was one to stay up until 2 a.m studying for a test until this past semester. I am happy to say I survived my first semester with only a few mental breakdowns. In those four months I learned to be patient, sleep is so so so important, becoming addicted to coffee is a given, and getting an A on that test you freaked out about is the best feeling in the world

I lost friends but gained some great ones. Drifting apart from friends is hard, especially when you thought they would be your friend forever. Although I lost some amazing people, I am lucky to say I have met some amazing people this past year. To those who I am not close to anymore, thank you for the awesome and heart filled memories. I wish you the best. To those who walked into my life this year, thank you for what you have taught me and for being a part of my journey.

I am more me than I ever have been. When I first moved away from home, I was more homesick than I thought I would be. I missed my family, my friends, my boyfriend, and my dogs more than anything. Once being homesick faded away and I was starting to realize how awesome this opportunity was, everything got 1,000 times better. I began to learn qualities about myself I never knew I had. Looking back now, I wouldn't want to know any other version of myself than the one I am right now.

2016 may not have been the best year. Many doors closed, but plenty opened up for me. I am grateful for every experience I had this year and am blessed beyond belief to be where I am. I have an amazing support system, and awesome people to share my life with. I am extremely excited for what 2017 is going to bring for myself and everyone else.

Happy New Year!!

xx.

Bailey Pontikos