On Becoming Authentic

On Becoming Authentic

Who Am I?

5
On Becoming Authentic

Many of us struggle with the meaning of life. We all have a life to live, yet, the life we live sets us apart from the surrounding people around us. I think the purpose of life is love, and to be loved in return. Sometimes, expressing love toward others is difficult; you know deep down they care about you, but without a verbal or physical reminder, it is easy to doubt. My immediate family does not hug. These past two summers, I have been in environments where hugs are the norm. It was quite strange, at first, but I began to enjoy a physical reminder of ,“hey, I care about you.”

Humans are capable to love, and that is an amazing gift. The love we could show to one another is enough to make a difference in a single life. Yet, we show so little of it. Compassion goes a very long way, or even a simple hello. As an individual I strive to love and help others because you never know. At the end of the day, all you have is yourself, or maybe the companionship of family. And if there is no love there you will not experience the joy, and happiness that everyone has the opportunity to have.

Two summers ago, I was given the best gift life has given me so far, and that was the opportunity to work as a camp counselor at Spring Hill Camps. I experienced so much love in a short amount of time. My summer was filled with many obstacles, but the victories were worth the wait and pain. I was working with children who came from so many different backgrounds -- children who had parents who loved then, and also children who were neglected. I was able to pour into all these children, because Spring Hill poured into me when I was broken. The leadership is implacable, every child who walks into this camp does not leave feeling unloved. I found a piece of myself, that summer. I know who I want to be as a person, I want to be someone who is trustworthy, loving, and true. And every day I have to die to myself, which is a constant reminder that to be the person I want to be. Reaching for temporary happiness will not direct me to the path I wish to walk on.

As a college student, who is only 20 years old, it’s hard not to get wrapped up in the parties when it is the environment you live in. I did learn, freshman year, it is possible to have fun without booze or drugs. When we take advantage of the situation we are put in, we realize everything else that is around is. Bowling Green is a wonderful town, and has so much to offer. And I am looking forward to finding those things this year, too. I’m not saying everyone should write off going to the bars, but there is a life outside of the bars. Always keep in mind: are the things you’re doing, now, going to help you later?