Which Coffee Shop Chain Is The Best? | The Odyssey Online

Which Coffee Shop Chain Is The Best?

The showdown between Starbucks, The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, Peet's and Dunkin Donuts.

5788
Which Coffee Shop Chain Is The Best?
Bustle

With finals looming, we all need that extra boost of caffeine to get through writing papers or studying for exams. Coffee shops roam all over a college neighborhood, filled with students typing their homework or just locals sitting and sipping their morning coffee. We can’t deny that Starbucks dominates the planet with its signature drinks and pastries, but other coffee companies step up their game and are just as popular and competitive. California-based chains, The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf and Peet’s Coffee, and East Coast favorite Dunkin Donuts sell similar if not the same types of products as Starbucks, but that doesn’t the products equate in terms of quality, taste, and value.

Here’s how I compare these four giant companies:

1. Hot Coffee

Starbucks: I don’t usually order regular coffee from Starbucks, but the last time I drank it, it tasted as bitter as charcoal. I forgot how many packets of sugar my friend got me when he bought me Starbucks’ coffee—I could have used all of them. Starbucks tend to over-roast their coffee beans, and that’s evident by the burnt taste and strong aroma. No wonder why a lot of customers settle for their lattes, iced coffees, and macchiatos. Their hot coffee is pretty strong compared to other brands, though.

The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf: Coffee Bean uses the top one percent Arabica beans, offering a high-quality coffee for their customers. I admit that Coffee Bean’s brews are the first hot coffees I’ve actually enjoyed. The coffee has a rich, bold taste that might not be as strong as Starbucks’, but enough to energize you throughout the day. Coffee Bean’s is the only coffee I don’t mind drinking without cream and sugar, and I’m not one of those who drink coffee black! I love their coffee. Sprinkle a bit of Coffee Bean’s French Vanilla powder, and the taste is even better!

Peet’s Coffee and Tea: As much as I love Coffee Bean’s brew, my favorite hot coffee would have to be from Peet’s Coffee and Tea. Peet’s also uses top quality beans, and freshly brew their promptly before customers order—I appreciate that. Peet’s black coffee has a dark, robust flavor and has a crisp bitterness to it, though not to the point where it’s burnt. If you have to bust another all-nighter, drink their coffee. It’s arguably the strongest out of these four brands!

Dunkin’ Donuts: If you’re new to coffee or can’t consume too much caffeine, drink Dunkin’s. The caffeine level in Dunkin’s black coffee isn’t as high as the previous three’s, and the taste is milder and smokier. Their coffee sort of reminds me of the coffee offered in offices and conference rooms: not strong but good enough. However, I like that Dunkin’ Donuts offers flavored coffee beans, like Hazelnut and S’mores—something fun for a change.

Winner: Peet’s

2. Tea/Tea Lattes

Starbucks: I only drink Starbucks’ Earl Grey among the other hot teas they offer, and it tastes pretty nice and aromatic, not something I’m too crazy about, though. Their chai latte carries a rich, creamy sweetness, but could get too milky and watery after a while. This goes for their matcha tea lattes too, which are a bit too grassy for my taste.

The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf: Some of the best teas I’ve ever had! Coffee Bean offers an extensive selection of teas from all over the world, which includes your typical Chai and Earl Grey, English Breakfast, and Moroccan Mint (my favorite). Coffee Bean’s teas are fresh, bold, and actually make you love tea as much as if not more than coffee. I also love their tea lattes, especially the seasonal favorite, Winter Dream Tea Latte.

Peet’s Coffee and Tea: I can’t judge Peet’s teas too much as I’ve only had their iced tea and dirty chai latte—I’ve enjoyed these two drinks very much. The iced tea refreshes you after a long exercise, though it’s a little bit on the bitter side. Their Dirty Chai Latte has a unique, exquisite cinnamon flavor, nothing I’ve tasted before.

Dunkin’ Donuts: I’ve never tried tea from Dunkin, but I haven’t heard a lot of good reviews about. Watery and bland are two comments I’ve heard. I’d still try their tea, even though it’s clearly not Dunkin’s specialty.

Winner: The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf

3. Iced Coffee

Starbucks: The vanilla iced coffee is my “usual” at Starbucks. Starbucks’ iced coffees don’t taste as burnt as their hot coffees, though they still retain the signature dark taste. I like the fact that Starbucks give you milk/cream options, like soy milk or half and half (breve), with no extra charge. I order their iced coffees every time, but oddly, I’m not too hyped about them—they’re just a cheaper alternative to their espresso drinks.

The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf: I also order the vanilla iced coffee at Coffee Bean, and it tastes just as great as their hot coffees. I’m addicted! Coffee Bean’s French Vanilla Powder truly complements the boldness of the brew, making it sweeter and mellower than the Starbucks counterpart. Sometimes the powder isn’t whisked thoroughly, and white stuff would float all over the coffee—not aesthetically pleasing, to be honest. That’s my only gripe.

Peet’s Coffee and Tea: Peet’s have a unique spin to iced coffee. Half and half, condensed milk, and half and half are splashed into Cold Brew coffee to make the Black Tie, Peet’s version of the Vietnamese iced coffee. The barista told me the Black Tie was his favorite drink when I first ordered it, and I would say so for myself too. It’s amazing! I wouldn’t order this every time though since it’s a little pricey for an iced coffee.

Dunkin’ Donuts: I love how Dunkin’ makes their iced coffees—just cream and sugar or your favorite flavor shot, nothing more. Their iced coffee tastes so refreshing, and surprisingly has the perfect amount of sweetness. I downed Dunkin’ iced coffee faster than I expected when I first ordered it. Sometimes, you just have to enjoy simplicity.

Winner: Dunkin’ Donuts

4. Lemonade

Starbucks: Along with the vanilla iced coffee, the Passion Tea Lemonade is also my usual. It’s sweet, a little tangy, and simply the perfect pick-me-up on a hot day. The Passion Tea Lemonade just shows how undeniably creative Starbucks can be with drinks. I never expected hibiscus tea and lemonade to taste awesome when mixed together! I have yet to try the other lemonades, like Mango Black Tea and Peach Green Tea, but I’m pretty sure they’re just as delicious.

The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf: I enjoy the pureness and fruitiness of Coffee Bean’s Iced Tea Lemonade. They are perfectly balanced, consisting both a tanginess and sweetness that don’t overpower each other. Make sure to drink this fast though—it gets watered down way too quickly.

Peet’s Coffee and Tea: Never tried. But should.

Dunkin’ Donuts: I have tried their lemonade once, but didn’t really care too much for it—a pretty forgettable taste if you ask me.

Winner: Starbucks

5. Vanilla Latte

Starbucks: I used to enjoy Starbucks’ vanilla latte. Later on, I realized how tasteless and watered down it got, particularly the hot version. The iced version is a little bit better, but whenever I order this, the vanilla syrup tastes a bit grainy when paired with their espresso. It’s weird.

The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf: Their vanilla latte has a great balance of espresso, sweet vanilla, and steamed milk. You can actually taste each one of those ingredients. Perfect, just perfect.

Peet’s Coffee and Tea: Peet’s baristas know how to make a mean latte. They usually take their time, making sure your drink is how you want it. As opposed to other chains, they even include form in their iced versions! When it comes to vanilla latte however, I can hardly taste the vanilla—this is probably just the subtlety/mildness of their vanilla syrup.

Dunkin’ Donuts: Dunkin’s vanilla latte probably contains around 78 grams of sugar. It’s too damn sweet and I hardly taste the espresso. I didn’t enjoy this as much as I wanted—it reminds me of the vanilla latte you get from those machines at AM PM.

Winner: The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf

6. Food Selections/ Value

Starbucks: Starbucks offers a variety of pastries, breakfast sandwiches, and salads in addition to their signature drinks. Customers especially dig their delicious, adorable cake pops. I love their egg and cheese English muffins, totally beats Mickie D’s. They’re a tad pricey though—well, that goes for most of their food.

The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf: I’m not a fan of their sandwiches, but Coffee Bean’s pastries are delicious. They definitely taste better than Starbucks’ pasties even though they are priced similarly. I think Coffee Bean needs more meal-like foods though. Not all of us eat pastries every day.

Peet’s Coffee and Tea: I’ve never ordered. As much as I’ve been there, I don’t see much variety of food.

Dunkin’ Donuts: With doughnuts being the main products of this chain, Dunkin’ certainly offers more food compared to the previous three. Their doughnuts are less greasy than other doughnuts I’ve tasted, but they’re still enjoyable. The other three coffee chains can’t beat Dunkin’ Donuts’ food prices either!

Winner: Dunkin’ Donuts

7. Locations

According to their Wikipedia pages:

Starbucks: 23,768 (Obvious Winner)

The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf: 1,000+

Peet’s Coffee and Tea: Around 200

Dunkin’ Donuts: 11,000

8. Atmosphere/Service

Starbucks: Starbucks has thousands of locations, so the quality of their service depends on which one you go to. I’ve been to a Starbucks with rude cashiers and some with nicer personalities. Dim lighting and indie music surround the interior, and people of all age groups love hanging out, doing homework, or getting a job interview at a Starbucks. And of course free wi-fi! It’s always hard for me to find seats, though.

The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf: Coffee Bean compares to Starbucks, as it also has an inviting ambience where customers can hang out or just enjoy their coffees. But from what I’ve seen, it’s less crowded than Starbucks. The baristas are also pretty friendly and outgoing. One barista even sang me the “Friends” theme song when I said my name is Monica—totally made my day.

Peet’s Coffee and Tea: The atmosphere/ambiance at Peet’s is just as a coffee place should: quaint, quiet, and relaxing. People actually want to sit down and enjoy their coffees, as there’s hardly ever a big crowd in the store. The baristas make you feel welcomed, and some even start a conversation with you. I’ve had a bad encounter with one barista though—he was condescending.

Dunkin’ Donuts: I’ve never had a problem with Dunkin’ Donuts’ service. The cashiers are nice enough, but probably not as friendly as Coffee Bean’s or Peet’s. Dunkin’ Donuts is a “fast food” place, so you shouldn’t expect too much atmosphere. Oh, well. At least you’ll less likely don’t have to wait forever for your coffee while the workers slave on a teenager’s Frappuccino.

Winner: Tie Between Coffee Bean and Peet’s

Overall Winner: The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf

Coffee Bean will always be my favorite—delicious quality drinks, awesome service, and lively atmosphere. You get what you pay for. Disagree with me? Comment below!