What The CIRV Program Taught Me | The Odyssey Online

What The CIRV Program Taught Me

I was in a program called The CIRV program where I volunteered 15 hours a week engaging with adults who have mental disabilities and this is what I learned from it.

17
What The CIRV Program Taught Me

Thousands of people have intellectual disabilities and mental illnesses and I am lucky enough to work with about ten of these amazing people every week. My name is Jessica and through eastern I'm a CIRV student, I volunteer fifteen hours of my time a week at lakeland village. Lakeland is a state operated 24-hour program that was created for adults with disabilities and provides all aspects of training, education and healthcare for approximately 210 individuals.

They don't have much to do and thats where I come in, I give them a chance to get out of the house and learn how to engage with others. I get to participate in activities with them like bingo, crafts, or go to the movies. I get to interact and talk with them and have gotten to know a lot of them on a personal level. Each person I work with have different interest so before starting you have to read through all there folders to see what to say, what not to say, and what they like to do. Before working in this program I haven't had much experience with interacting with people who have disabilities and to be honest I was nervous at first. I wasn't exactly sure what I've gotten myself into and it was a bit of a surprising culture shock. I had so many questions and I was curios on each of there backgrounds. But after the first month of working with them I've grown close to them and understand how to interact with certain individuals.

By joining this program I've learned people with disabilities are really just people, they just have to take things in life a little slower then the average person and how people, who may first seem very different than me, are actually unexpectedly very relatable. I was shocked by how even with their disabilities these people were some of the happiest people Ive ever met. They always greet me with a smile and are made happy by the simplest things. I saw so much enthusiasm for the most unforeseen and simplest things. Not only that, but their enthusiasm remained consistent, day in and day out, over the same little things as if they had never experienced them before. There happiness made me really appreciate everything I've experienced in life and even the little things in my life do matter and make a difference. Its shown me I can approach everything in my life with a smile, if I try and I need to stop taking what I have and what I've experienced in my life for granted.

They also have taught me how truly unique every individual is. I was surprised by how they still had such unique personalities and characteristics. Everyone I work with is so different in many ways and that is what makes this experience so special.

I have learned how important giving my time and energy to others is. Every week I get to put a smile on their faces and make them laugh and that is whats so important to me. I truly am making a difference in these peoples lives, and reminding them everyday how truly unique, special, and important they are, and that is what makes this an invaluable experience.

Working with these people has taught me many things, but mostly it taught me a lot about myself and my values and how I relate to others. It has made me see people and the world differently, and has expanded my reality. It has made me value having an open-mind and being so creative in a way that can help me learn to overcome barriers throughout my life. Working with these people has impacted me in ways I couldn't have predicted and is a big part of my life and my personal development and for that I cherish every moment of it.