What Makes A Good Leader? | The Odyssey Online

What Makes A Good Leader?

12 Traits of a Good Leader

34
What Makes A Good Leader?
Early Child Training Center

What makes people want to follow other people? What makes a good leader and what makes a bad leader? How can a good leader draw a team together? In my own life I have followed and I have led. As a follower, I have loved working for some bosses and hated working for others. As a leader, I have had my team tell me what they want from a me to be a better leader for them. So I have learned—although not always put into practice—what it takes to make a good leader. Here is what I have learned:

1. Be kind

When working with a team, it is important to be courteous to your team members. Treat others how you like to be treated. Be gentle with them in eustressed and distressed situations. Kindness is key when talking to others, talking about others, working with others and working for others.

2. Be courageous

As a leader, there will be times when you must step out of your comfort zone to be bold. Perhaps you must stand up to someone who is hurting you or your team. Or maybe you have to reprimand someone within your team. Whatever it is, as a leader you must rise up, take courage and do it. Be responsible. Be bold.

3. Be chill

Things get tough in a hurry, but there is no need to stress. The more relaxed and calm you are, the more relaxed and calm your team will be. The more tranquil your team is, the more likely no one will become angry and uptight. Being chill creates an atmosphere of good-humor. Good-humor beats anger any day.

4. Be thankful

Appreciate your team, coworkers, followers and people. You can barely work without them. Tell them why you are thankful for them. Let them know you see the effort they are putting into their job. Being noticed for the right reasons will make them want to keep doing their job well.

5. Be willing

Be a servant. Help your team. No work is beneath you, so lead by example. If you want others to work for you, then you must work for them.

6. Be good

Be virtuous and truthful. Do the right thing. Follow the rules. Do not be a hypocrite and make others follow rules and do their job properly when you are not following rules or doing your job properly. Do not be afraid to do the right thing. People will let their feelings be hurt when you do right. Do right anyway. Inspire people to do right too.

7. Be reliable

Be the kind of person who can always be depended upon to do their job well, on time and correctly. Never let your people down. And they will try their best to never let you down. And when you mess up, never be afraid to apologize. Do not be too proud to say you are sorry for failing them.

8. Be organized

A scatterbrained leader who cannot find anything or remember anything or is forgetful is a frustrating leader to work for. A leader who follows rabbit trails is a hard one to follow. Always have a plan, then follow your plan. Be orderly and responsible. Show your team you know what you are doing and are capable to do it.

9. Be transparent

Be honest to your team. Never lie to them. Be relatable and open. Let them see right through you. Show them you have nothing to hide. Speak to them truthfully and kindly. Respect the humans you work with.

10. Be friendly

Other people will not like you unless you like other people. Even when you do not like someone, do not talk bad about them behind their back. The best way to have a strong team is for everyone to like everyone. Practice liking people by finding things about them that are good and wholesome. Then tell them that is what you like about them. The more you find about them that you like, the more you will start to truly like them, and the more they will start to like you too.

11. Be positive.

There will always be bad days. As a leader, it is your job to be the optimist. You must encourage the people around you to look for the good in every situation. Lighten the blow of bad news by finding good within the bad. Be the bright side of a dark day. Radiate positivity.

12. Be encouraging

Everyone does well, so tell them so. Everyone fails. Tell them it is okay, because they have done well in the past which means they will do well in the future too. Do not let failure stick to your frame of mind.