What To Look For In A Man From The Girl Who Has No Man

Sometimes the best advice is from the observers.

10
Bustle.com

By clicking on this article you might have found it a tad contradicting. What could a single girl possibly have to say that would be valid about finding traits in a guy?

Honestly, more than you think.

You see, I have been observing for quite some time. I have had relationships of my own and honestly, I have played the "youngest child" card by sitting back and watching other people make mistakes and have taken notes. I have learned from my mistakes, and I have learned from yours. I've also watched over the years my parents and grandparents and what they do to make their marriages last 24 and 50 years long.

Here is a list of 10 things to look for in a guy. Things that I have seen to be of much importance.

1. He makes you laugh.

I'm not talking about the little school girl giggle, I'm talking laugh until your abs hurt, might need an inhaler to catch your breath kind of laugh. He's funny, he makes all the right jokes (at almost the right time.) Some one who is funny, but not perverse.

2. He treats you like a Queen.

This is always a controversial topic. No, don't make him hold your bags and cart you around. But when you're arguing (because you will argue) he's not the type of guy to scream at you, call you names, cuss you out or make you feel inferior to him at all. You are his equal, and in the end, he needs to treat you that way.

3. He has a love for something other than himself.

Back in the "good-ole-days" I would tell you that this meant he had a heart for Jesus. But for some reason religion is a tricky topic for America so I will go with this: He needs to be less focused on himself and more on something that feeds him positively. (Aka he needs to love Jesus. Sorry, I guess I'm not politically correct.) By finding someone who already loves Jesus, more than you and himself, you are setting yourself up for the best relationship possible. He is willing to submit himself to the Lord and willing to lay down his pride. Ladies that's a big one.

4. He is not boastful, and he keeps no record of wrongs.

This one is very important and also scriptural. Men are subjective to their pride. They have their ways of doing things and that is fine, it is your job to keep that pride in reign but also don't tear them down. We as humans are prideful creatures, and this is something that men thrive on. He also doesn't need to keep a running list of the times you've let him down. Every argument should not bring up the last. You forgive, you forget and you LET IT GO (wise words from Elsa.)

5. He is Trusting/Trustworthy.

Honestly this doesn't need anymore explaining. If you cannot trust the person you are with then there is absolutely no reason to be with them. Sorry, no excuses. A relationship is BUILT on trust. If you build your house on rock, your foundation will be firm and solid for a long time, if you build your house on sand your foundation will quickly wither away and you will be left with nothing. (Wise words from the bible.)

6. Look for someone with similar interests, but also different ones as well.

It's so nice to be able to sit down and talk about things that you both enjoy. Whether you're a sports gal and he loves that about you, or you both enjoy a good theatrical production, whatever the case may be, remember that different interests are good too. Just know what's ok to be differencing in opinions and when it's not. It's ok to not like football if he does, you do not have to change who you are just because you might think it will make him happy. Make an effort, but don't impersonate who you are.

7. Find someone who can make the best out of any situation.

This one is one of the most important for me, a lot of times you are thrown into situations that, let's face it, suck. Find someone who doesn't sit around and complain because they aren't doing what they wanted, or pout because they want to be somewhere else. Find someone who makes the best out of every situation, making whatever curve ball life throws at you a really fun game of dodgeball.

8. He is a gentleman

This may be the southerner in me, but cowboys do know it best. Going out of their way to open the doors for ladies, making sure they are taken care of and over all being gentlemen about everything. It is important to be with someone who respects you and you respect him. Mutual respect is key. If he treats you like a queen then you treat him like a king. At the end of the day, you are both getting what you want.

9. Look for a Love, not a Lust.

Now a days, we are so desperate for relationships. So desperate for love, we will jump at the first thing that looks like it. Unfortunately, love is something that is created over time and includes most of the things I listed in this article. Lust is something you can fall quickly into and can often confuse it with love. They look alike but one has an expiration date and the other doesn't. Look for someone who love's you more and more each day and appreciates you instead of treating you like you are quickly depreciating.

10. Look for personality, not looks.

Sure, it's good to find someone who is easily appealing to the eye, but reminder: he will not look like that forever. Find someone that when they're old and wrinkly, they're still the most attractive person you've ever met because you fell in love with THEM, not their looks. If you happen to catch someone who is both then by all means, have at it. But I'll let you in on a little secret, once you fall in love with the personality, it's hard not to think they're the sexiest person alive.