What It Was Like Being A New York Knicks Fan During The 2014-2015 Season

When a basketball team makes you feel emotions ranging from excitement, helplessness, anger, hope and frustration.

38

Being from New York, I have always grown up rooting for the New York Knicks. Ever since I could walk, I was going to games, watching them on TV and wearing their gear.

In the twenty years that I’ve lived, Knicks fans have gone through many ups and downs. Just two years ago, the Knicks were the second seed in the Eastern Conference. Now they’re the worst team in the NBA. I can’t speak for all sports fans, but what I am confident about is how much it sucks when your team, no matter the sport, is the worst team in the league. Here’s why my year as a Knicks fan was awful:

October 29, 2014, 7 p.m.

After months of watching post-season trades and boring pre-season games, the start of the basketball season is finally here! The Knicks, with a promising new coach, a veteran president of operations (Phil Jackson) and a winning offense, are sure to be a playoff contender. I can’t wait to watch the first game of the season!

October 29, 2014, 9:30 p.m.

Okay, so we lost our first game. Big deal. There are 81 more games in the season. Chicago is a really hard team to beat, anyway. I’m still planning to wear my Knicks shirt to spite the millions of Chicago fans at Indiana University.

November 16, 2014

The Knicks finish their remarkable 8-game losing streak, giving fans a small sigh of relief.

December 10, 2014

The Knicks beat their old losing streak. Now they’ve lost 10 games in a row. Tensions are high, and New Yorkers are pissed.

January 7, 2015

Outspoken former sixth man of the year J.R. Smith and teammate Iman Shumpert are involved in a three-way trade, sending them to Cleveland. This was another low blow for Knicks fans. Smith, although a complete goofball, could sometimes get the offense going, and Shumpert was pretty good for defense. My heart, just one among many other Knicks fan’s hearts, is broken. A few weeks later, J.R. posts this on his Instagram, another burn to the team and fans.

January 15, 2015

A 16-game losing streak. Knicks fans are now embarrassed to be seen at the games, covering their faces with paper bags.

Early February, 2015

Knicks fans are now accepting of the fact that we will probably not make the playoffs. We look on the bright side, which is usually not the New York "state of mind," and just hope we’re playing this badly on purpose to get a high draft pick. Jahlil Okafor from Duke looks pretty promising!

March 15, 2015

The New York Knicks are officially eliminated from the playoffs for the second year in a row. Though I stopped watching the games a few months ago because my heart and brain hurt from watching them struggle with the basketball, I am still struck with sadness. I have to find a new team to root for during the playoffs. I hope Stephen Curry wins a ring!

May 18, 2015

Tomorrow is the draft lottery! The Knicks should definitely get a top-two pick because we sure were awful this year. Here we come, Karl Anthony Towns or Jahlil Okafor!

May 19, 2015

WE GOT THE FOURTH PICK? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? WHY DID WE WIN THOSE TWO GAMES AT THE END OF THE SEASON? WE WOULD HAVE GOTTEN A NUMBER ONE PICK!!!

June 4, 2015. Game One of the Finals

Wow, I am insanely jealous that the cities of Cleveland and Oakland have teams to root for during the playoffs. I forget what that feeling is like. The last time the Knicks were playing in the finals, the logo looked like this:

So retro and nostalgic. And pathetic.

Although this was the worst season for the New York Knicks in franchise history, fans remain hopeful for next year. Yes, we have the fourth pick, but there are also a ton of free agents. Let’s just pray they want to come save the failing franchise that is the New York Knicks.