The Weird Things That Happened To Me After Dying My Hair Pink | The Odyssey Online

The Weird Things That Happened To Me After Dying My Hair Pink

283

Let me start off by addressing the questions I get asked on the daily. Why did you dye your hair pink? In all honesty, it was a total accident. Mercury was in retrograde and nothing that week went as planned. However, I had dyed my hair purple a week before and was trying a new hair dye, that I thought was purple, but after washing it out, it was as pink as can be. I freaked out at first, but then ended up absolutely loving it. Well then why did you dye your hair purple? I had been wanting to dye my hair purple for months, but was too scared because I had been dying my hair blonde for years. But one day I was really bored and thought why not? I'm young. If I am going to dye my hair a crazy color, now is the time to do it. How long did it take you to do it? For me, because I had been dying my hair for so long, it only took about an hour. I had always been a very light blonde, so all I needed to do was bleach my roots, tone it, and then paint my head. For anyone with darker hair, I suggest going to a hair salon and slowly lightening it with the help of a professional. If you've never bleached your own hair before, you can really kill your hair!

You would think that because it is MY hair, that it wouldn't be a big deal to anybody else, but I noticed that I was being treated WAY differently because my hair was so bright. Aside from the bombardment of questions, a lot of strange things happened and will probably continue to happen with this hair color. I get that pink isn't a normal hair color, but I honestly did not think it would affect so many other people because none of these things would ever happen if I stuck with my blonde hair!

This is me at my prime pinkness.

1. I got free Chipotle because I had “hair goals.”

This was by far the best thing that happened to me. The pink is a conversation starter, people had curiosities, questions, and feel obligated to give me their honest opinion. I have a Chipotle that I go to at least once a week in Manhattan by my workplace. There was a woman in front of me who was so taken by my hair color that she asked me to write out my whole process. The term "hair goals" was used quite often in that conversation. We were in line and had plenty of time so I happily gave her my step by step process and tips for the best color. Afterward, we chatted and when we got to the cash register she told the woman behind the cash register that we were paying together. I looked at her with confusion, but I obviously wasn't going to turn down free Chipotle. She handed the cashier her credit card and I thanked her. It was such a nice gesture, I had guacamole and extra steak, in New York that is like a $13 bowl, but it was bizarre in the sense that if I had any normal hair color, it would have never happened.

2. A young lady asked me if I was a princess!

I was at the subway, on my way home from work. This little girl and her mother came in and the little one saw me and got so excited, it was the cutest thing ever. She ran right up to me and asked me if I was a princess! Her mom apologized, but I just laughed and whispered in her ear and said "I am, but it's a secret, and you can't tell anyone." Her smile stretched from cheek to cheek and she boarded her train, thinking she met a real princess, it was great.

3. A young man asked me if I was a witch.

I don't know why pink hair made me into some kind of mythical creature, but suddenly I was being compared to princesses and witches. In all honesty, I felt more like "My Little Pony" if anything. A few days after the princess incident, I was at work, and a little boy was literally terrified of me. He had super wide eyes and kept pulling at his moms jacket. His mom, trying to shop and getting frustrated, told him to "just ask her." I was beyond confused and he came up to me and said "Excuse me miss, but are you a witch?" I think his mom was expecting me to say no, but I told him I was a witch and he ran away crying. His mom looked at me and said "thanks" and rolled her eyes. I didn't think he would get so freaked out! Does that make me a bad person? Maybe, but in all honesty it was hilarious.

4. People felt like they were entitled to touch my hair, whenever they want … Without asking.

This is decently frustrating. If I don't do some teasing and curling to my hair, it is flat against my head and looks boring. Especially with the color, I put a little more time into styling it everyday. When my hair was blonde, people would only play with my hair every now and then and I didn't really mind. But when it is pink, every person that talks to me has their fingers in my hair. By the end of the day, it is always a complete mess. In all honesty, it gets pretty annoying.

5. I was photographed on the streets many times … Without my consent.

This happens mostly every time I went in, went out, or was in work, aka tourist central. People would either just snap a photo of me, try to get me in their snapchats, or ask to have a photo taken with me. It was really flattering at first, I felt like Kim K.! But eventually, it made me somewhat self-conscious, like what is so crazy about my hair that people need to have a record of it. If you're going to take a picture of me, at least try to be discreet about it. I didn't mind when people asked to take pictures with me, at least they were considerate enough to get my consent. But it was especially annoying when I am in a rush somewhere and a tourist flags me down and asks me to pose for them, it's actually gotten to the point where I just ignore them. I don't like to be rude, but I wasn't about to be late for work so you can take a picture of me. This almost never happened to me when I was blonde. People would maybe take random pictures of me because I was in time square, but NEVER to this extent. It is totally bizarre.

6. I got asked if I was famous and when I said no they asked for my autograph and a picture anyway.

This was by far the weirdest one. I was waiting at the subway on my way to work and I noticed someone took a picture of me and I kind of brushed it off. Then a minute later a group of girls asked me if I was famous and I said no. To be honest, if I was famous I wouldn't be on my way to a job at a retail store, but they absolutely would not believe me. These girls seemed pretty young, couldn't be older than 14 or 15, but they were like harassing me. They kept pressuring me for pictures and autographs. At first, I felt fabulous, but then I felt really uncomfortable and I really didn't understand why they were so convinced I was a celebrity ... I don't know why the color pink evokes that I am somehow special. I went from princess, to witch, to celebrity, in about a week. It was something I wanted to do for fun. I ended up taking the train that went the opposite way I was heading because they would not leave me alone.

Maybe it's because I spend so much time in Times Square around tourists who don't know of too many celebrities or have never seen someone with pink hair before, but these are real events that were kind of awesome, kind of weird, and a little concerning. So if you're thinking about dying your hair a fun color, know these things could happen to you ... I hope I am not the only one.