10 Ways To Instantly Cheer Yourself Up

10 Ways To Instantly Cheer Yourself Up

Why be snappy? When you can be happy!

179
10 Ways To Instantly Cheer Yourself Up
Kyani Reid

A wise woman by the name of Hannah Montana (or was it Miley Cyrus??) once said, “Everybody makes mistakes everybody has those days, everybody knows, what, what I’m talking about’ everybody gets that way.”

We all have those days where we feel down or depressed with life’s occasional hiccups. Whether it be school, work, or your personal life, anything can have an effect on your mood. Here are 10 ways to cheer yourself up when you feel gloominess creeping up on you.

1. DANCE IT OUT

I put this in all caps so that you will know how serious I am about this. Music is the best form of therapy, so plug your phone in the aux cord and turn it allllll the way up with your favorite tunes. Please don't play yourself and turn on sad music to make yourself cry (I think we all have done that at least once). When I say music I mean play something that is going to make you feel empowered, strong, and happier than ever. Beyonce is my personal go-to life coach.

2. Do a good deed

It always makes you feel good when you make others feel good. Whether it is volunteering your time at a shelter, helping out a friend, or buying a stranger coffee, just knowing that you did something to improve someone else’s day, can make your day a lot brighter.

3. Treat Yo Self

DO SOMETHING FOR YOURSELF, YOU DESERVE IT.

Go shopping, get your nails done, buy those shoes you have been wanting, go to the movies, go hiking, etc. I don't know what you like to do, but go do it!! I guarantee that if you reward yourself for just being you, you will instantly feel better.

4. Write down your blessings

There is so much to be grateful for in life and sometimes we all need to remind ourselves of that. It is incredibly easy to only think negatively when you are in a bad mood, and forget all of the positive things we have daily. Writing down your blessings allows you to see on paper all of the things in life you have that you can be thankful for.

5. Watch something funnyHappy Celebration GIF

Play a funny movie or a TV show that constantly makes you laugh. Look up that one YouTube video that never fails to get you giggling. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT watch a depressing movie just because you are feeling depressed. This will only make matters worse! The only tears that need to be streaming down your face are tears of laughter!

6. Go out on the town

Grab a group of friends and go do something, anything, just go. You can go to a concert, go out to eat, go bowling, the options are endless.

7. Exercise and eat right

I know, I know the dreadful “E” word, but hear me out. Exercising releases endorphins which make you happy. Not to mention, you can also lose a few pounds and get fit in the process which is always a plus. Eating well is also a key ingredient to feeling your best. I know a busy schedule can lead to poor eating habits but that type of food can have us feeling sluggish and depressed. Eating healthier foods will not only allow you to feel good, but look good as well. So get up, and get active your happiness depends on it!!

8. Be hygienic

I don’t just mean take showers, although I’m sure a few of us skip them from time to time (you know who you are). I mean, be hygienic in every aspect of your life. Clean your room, clean your car, and clean your body. If your surroundings are cluttered, your life might feel cluttered as well, leading to an unhappy you. Once you declutter, you will not only feel happier but gain motivation to take on a new task as well.

9. Think Positive Thoughts

Today is the first day of the rest of your life. Yesterday's hardships and pain are now in the past. The worst thing you can do to yourself is live with regret and sadness. Wake up every morning and say, “Today is going to be a great day.” Guess what? With that positive thinking, it probably will be.

10. Smile

I’m pretty sure I read somewhere once that it is scientifically proven that smiling actually makes you feel better. So even if you don’t feel like smiling, smile anyway! Chances are, things are not as bad as you think they are.