6 Ways To Handle Getting Sick In College

How to fight the bug without Mom there to help you.

84
Shutterstock

Most of us have never been sick without having our mom, dad or some parental figure to take care of us. At least for me, that was one of my biggest fears coming to college—how would I be able to manage being sick without my mom and dad to take care of me? When you’re sick everything becomes foggy and arduous. Simple tasks like washing your dishes and making small talk with your roommate suddenly become impossible, and the line between being too sick to go to “school” becomes blurred because, well, you're already at school and making the five minute trek to class doesn’t sound that hard.

So far, I’ve been sick twice this year, both second semester and neither time has been fun in any sense of the word. Without my mom here to take care of me, even watching cartoons in my bed and eating soup has lost it’s appeal. The cold I am currently experiencing is worse than usual and all I wan’t is some TLC from my dear mama, but alas, she is a thousand miles away, so a phone call will have to suffice. I am writing this article for myself as much as for you guys so I can remind myself what I need to do to get my body up and running before finals.

Do not go out this weekend.

I repeat, do not. Let’s be real, I will probably break this rule, just like I did last time, but being hungover on top of being sick is gnarly to say the least. Not to mention the fact that you might make out with some stranger and get them sick too, so not only will you end up hungover and more sick (due to your lack of rest) but you will feel guilty too. If only your mom was there to stop you from going out in the first place… sigh.

Drink lots of liquids.

No, beer doesn’t count. Stock up on those little cartons of orange juice they sell in the dining hall. And take advantage of that electric tea kettle and a drawer full of tea your mom bought you at the beginning of the year. Trust me, your organs will be thanking you.

Skip class.

Trust me, it’s OK. The first time I got sick this semester, I got really sick. Fever, runny nose, lost my voice, the works. But I still went to class! I guess I figured since I was technically already at school I might as well just take a whole lot of Dayquil and push through an hour of philosophy and then go hop back in bed, but it really isn’t worth it. When you are sick, you have to treat it like you would’ve back in high school—no school, no friends, no going out. Plus, everyone else is doing their very best to avoid getting sick and you bringing your sick ass to school isn’t helping anyone. Stay home.

Go to the on campus medical center.

Chances are you just have a cold or a stomach bug, and there probably won't be a lot they can do about it, but they might give you some free cough drops, and it will make you feel a lot better when they tell that your sickness is “going around” and you really have “nothing to worry about.” And if you do happen to have something worse than just a cold or a bug, it is always better to catch is earlier rather than later!

Sleep like crazy.

I know ever since you got to college you’ve been waiting to hear those words, well, now’s you have. Make the best of your situation and catch some z’s.

Finally, call home.

Your parents miss you and you need them now more than ever. They are sure to be sympathetic as they were probably just as scared of you getting sick at college without them as you were.

Hope that helps and get well soon!