Why You Should Watch 'The Newsroom' | The Odyssey Online

Why You Should Watch 'The Newsroom'

This show will capture your heart with wittiness and sarcasm.

100
Why You Should Watch 'The Newsroom'
chicago-d.com

Aaron Sorkin has done it again. He has captured my heart with sarcastic characters and witty one-liners. For those of you who do not know who I am talking about, I am talking about the screenwriter Aaron Sorkin who is responsible for "The West Wing," "A Few Good Men," "The American President," "The Social Network" and many others. He is known for his fast pace dialogue and memorable lines. I have loved his writing as a hopeful screenwriter and as an English major but you do not need to be an English major to love his work. His work is critically acclaimed and it is no surprise that he had another hit show that unfortunately only made it to three seasons. I am here to talk to you about the HBO show, "The Newsroom."

Have you ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes at NBC, CNN or any other news show? Have you wondered what it would like to be a producer or reporter? This is your show. I started this show because I love Sorkin's works and I am interested in journalism myself. I was immediately enraptured before the end of the first episode. The show is a political drama that chronicles the behind-the-scenes events at the fictional Atlantis Cable News (ACN) channel. They try to report the news, not for ratings but to tell people the truth. They come into obstacles like corporations pushing viewers and ratings on them and wanting them to cover entertainment. This show does not make up stories but actually covers stories like Deepwater Horizon and the shooting of Gabby Giffords.

This show has a very optimistic view on news anchors and shows which I like. We have a lot of negativity around the news and I love this perspective that Sorkin brings. It warmed my heart to see fictional news people report the news. It was so funny to see fictional characters poke holes in real events and what politicians say. But enough about the plot.

The characters are where all the action is at. Jeff Daniels is amazing as Will McAvoy, the anchor for the news show. He is the a-hole that turns out to be a big softy. He starts out as rude and sarcastic and cold in the beginning but it amazing to see him transform into someone who cares a lot about his friends. He's still sarcastic a little bit of an a-hole but he is one of my favorite characters.

Jim and Maggie are amazing and belong together. They are so cute and you will love them from the beginning. Don is my spirit animal and I love him. Sloan Sabbith is me all the way. I love her intelligence, having two PhDs in economics makes intelligence sexy. Charlie is the hilarious grandpa everyone wants to have. All the actors are their characters, there is no way to tell the difference.

This show will capture your attention and your heart. Even if you are not interested in politics, Aaron Sorkin's shows are for you. I have friends who are not interested in politics at all but enjoy his shows immensely. Have a look yourself. Check out "The Newsroom" on Amazon Prime.