The Views Review Pt.1

The Views Review Pt.1

Drake's new album dropped - have you heard it yet?

11
The Views Review Pt.1
Kanyetothe.com

On April 29, 2016, the rapper Drake dropped his much awaited fourth album. With 20 songs on this album, there is a lot of room for calling people out who wronged him in the past as well as plenty of track time express his feelings. Many critics are saying that this is a different side of Drake, due to the paranoid, icy aggressive and unusually villainous tracks put out by the artist.Yet, Drake doesn't think he changed at all, he simply is showing his fans who he really is and attempting to make music for life.

“I’ve always been me, I guess I know myself.” — Drake

1. Keep the Family Close

Yet another track where Drake discusses his trust issues. Personally, I think he has too many and should have learned from experience by now that he shouldn't trust people right away. Yet I believe that deep inside, he is hopeful that not all individuals are out there to get you, because they aren't. I guess he must run into the wrong people. Luckily the artist has his family close by to always be there for support -- hence the title “Keep The Family Close”.

Here are some of my favorite lyrics from the song:

"How do you not check on me when things go wrong."

"I always saw you for what you could have been."

"You're so predictable I hate people like you."

2. 9

In this song, Drake's ego comes out. His track ”9" is a big thank you to his hometown Toronto, also known as the "6." It also gives him a chance to boast about his influence over Toronto. The rapper claims to have 'turned the 6 upside down' therefore making it a 9 -- the title of an anthem written to the 6.

Particular lyrics that stand out are:

"All these hand outs, man it's getting out of hand."

"I made a decision last night that I would die for it."

"Doesn't matter where I go, I can never get away from it."

3. U with Me?

In “U With Me?,” Drake questions the loyalty of his girl and nonetheless his trust issues appear. Through out the song he is reflecting on his past with her, mentioning how the magnitude of his emotions is too heartfelt. He feels as if he is too invested in the relationship to leave it -- the classic push and pull of the lovers' dance. Yet while reflecting on the past and how certain issues in their relationship made them start drifting, Drake begins to doubt the girl's true intentions -- mentioning the mind games she would play through text. Someone needs to give this man a hug and a woman that won't break his heart.

Lyrics from this track that stand out:

"Cuts too deep for a Band-Aid solution."

"We too deep in this thing to never lose me."

"3 dots, you thinkin' of a reaction still."

4. Feel No Ways

Drake refers to a girl who no longer emulates his ambitious, career-driven lifestyle like he once did. At first, her friends were excited about the relationship between her and Drake, but after a while she became 'gassed up' (when you are manipulated to feel a certain way about a situation) by her friends. As a result she began tarnishing Drake’s name and it was obvious their relationship was going to fail. Their relationship caused them to be nothing but unproductive, often sleeping in and smoking weed together.

Even though they went their separate ways, she still continues to manipulate him which causes Drake to feel guilty and sad despite knowing he's better off without her. I guess he should start listening to his gut more.

Lyrics that stand out:

"Your body language says it all"

"Maybe we just should have did things my way, instead of the other way."

"There's more to life than sleeping in."

5. Hype

Ah, here we hit our first diss song towards someone who isn't an ex. Remember the Meek Mill scandal? No? Well, a few good songs came out of it, so it wasn't such a bad thing. Anyway, in this song Drake takes a shot at Meek Mill by comparing himself to Michael Jackson and bragging about dancing with Rihanna. Okay, be honest with yourself -- you would brag about dancing with her as well. He also claims that The Views is already a classic album before coming out. Now, that is the kind of confidence Drake needs in his love life.

Lyrics that stand out:

"I don't let it get to me."

"My enemies wanna be friends with other enemies."

"I'm just done in the hype."

6. Weston Road Flows

The song “Weston Road Flows” is a throwback to Drake’s past. Drake grew up on Weston Road in Toronto. Weston runs from Keele Street and St. Clair Avenue up to York Region and is well known for being a neighborhood with little money. His mother was very sick, and as a result Drake grew up very poor, practically broke. The only money they had coming in was off of Degrassi (#ThrowBack).

Within the song, Drake talks about his start up and how people currently treat him like he is naive due to his young age, but they don't know everything he's been through and learned from his experiences. He talks about how challenging it was to rise up in fame and how he turned to drugs and alcohol to help. At the end of the day, Drake knows that money can't buy him happiness but he is truly happier not having to worry about it. Isn't he a great son?

Lyrics that stand out:

"Money can't buy happiness."

"I'm happiest when I can buy what I want."

"Lookin' in the mirror I'm closer than I really appear."

7. Redemption

This one is about a relationship that Drake had with a former lover which might make us question how many exes does this guy have? Throughout the song, he expresses a variety of conflicting emotions about romantic commitment. Within the first three verses, he scorns a former lover for the emotional pressure she put him under. Then in the choruses, we can hear Drake pleading with the mystery girl for her time and understanding, which I don't think Drake even needs to do. Throughout the song, Drake begins to address more relationships. One of them being the relationship he had with Erica Lee, who sued him for not crediting her as a co-writer for the drunken voicemails she left him that were used in the song "Marvin's Room." If you ask me, I feel as though Drake puts more effort in his relationships than the females do or he just happens to choose people who are either not ready for relationships or are heartbreakers.

Lyrics that stand out:

"I lost my way."

"Redemption's on your mind when you think about me."

"I miss the feeling of you missing me."

8. With you

Yet another song about women. This one however, is about Drake's sensitive side. Drake talks about a girl he is talking to and reveals that he wants her to be with him at all times. I wonder if she even feels the same way. This man just keeps opening up his emotions then washing them back down with copious amounts of strong liquor. When will this cycle end? The world may never know. Until then, we get to hear the great music that is a result of it all.

Lyrics that stand out:

"Choose your lover for the moment."

"Mixing vodka and emotions, tapping into your emotions."

"My love's locked down."

9. Faithful

Here we get a glimpse as to how faithful Drake is, unlike the women he had been dating in the past. Surprising? I think not. In this song, Drake explains his fondness for a girl, cute right? Well, she’s too busy working to engage in a relationship, but is that what Drake wants? Does he even want a relationship, or he is looking for a friend with benefits? Nonetheless, because she is so busy Drake must remain patient and faithful while she pursues her independence. Throughout the song he explains how the girl is constantly questioning his faithfulness to her and blaming him for seeing other women. Firstly, they aren't dating. Secondly, Drake seems to have a hard time being faithful, yet somehow is able to be. Does she ever end up being with him? Listen to the song and find out.

Lyrics that stand out:

"I just like extremely expensive things."

"Get all your affairs in order."

10. Still Here

Once again, Drake is out here boasting. This song showcases Drake at his most defiant. He presents to anyone listening to this song a laundry list of accomplishments, including beautiful women such as Rihanna, his acting past on Degrassi, and an excess of money. He uses these accomplishments not to rub it in anyone's face (okay, well, maybe a little) but to prove everyone that he even though he may be young, he's overcome huge hurdles. Drake fully intends to stay on top of the music game, and the CN as seen on the album cover. This song also reinforces one of the other main themes seen so far: family unity. Despite claiming that Drake did it all by himself, and that there is nothing mutual about his funds, Drake continues shouting out his crew, family and the city that made Drake the man he is today.

Lyrics that stand out:

"All praise to the most high up."

"I make people pay for my time."

"I don't need no pill to speak my mind."