The Five Types of College Friends | The Odyssey Online

The Five Types of College Friends

You'll make a lot of friends in college and each of them will be unique in their own way.

116
The Five Types of College Friends

Everyone knows that a large part of the college years, beyond the education, is making new friends. The friends you make in college will define your experience because they will be there beside you during the good, the bad, and the ugly. But the friend you meet up with for library dates every Tuesday may not be the same one you go downtown with Thursday night. Either way, the friends you make in college have the potential to last a lifetime. Here are the five types of friends you may have during these magical years.

1. The Freshman Year Friend

You probably met during orientation or you live in the same residence hall together. You have helped each other through your first few weeks of college together and you didn’t judge each other when you all asked strange questions, like if you shower in the morning or at night. You all may stay close friends throughout college or you all may come to realize as the year goes on that you have different interests and different friend groups. But there will always be a special place in your heart for your freshman year friend.

2. The Study Buddy

This is the friend who, more than likely, has the same major as you and you all will suffer or cruise through a majority of the same classes together. A study buddy is a good friend to have. They want to do well and will motivate you to do well, too. Maybe you really will have a steady library date or you will plan to go to tutoring sessions together for that chemistry class that seems impossible. However you all plan to study together, you are sure to do better with someone right there beside you and pushing you every step of the way.

3. The Fair Weather Friend

Unfortunately, not all of your college friends will have a special place in your heart. You may have a friend who you thought you really hit it off with and then you never hear from them again, even after some friendly texts asking if they want to hang out. You may have a friend who only shows up when they need something. College is not totally unlike high school in that some friends are worth keeping and some are not. Pay attention to who sticks around when times are tough and who doesn’t. Fair weather friends can be great to hang out with when it suits them, but you probably shouldn’t depend on them to get you the notes from the class you missed when you were sick.

4. The Party Friend

This friend is always up for a good time. They probably have a lot of other friends who like to party and the whole group hits the clubs and bars every weekend. Maybe that’s your scene and maybe it’s not, but, if you do want to let your hair down, you should definitely text them. They’ll know where the party is at that night and they’ll make sure you have a good time, too.

5. The Lifelong Friend

This is your person. This friend is roommate material and, if you don’t already live together, you probably should at some point. They understand you, they don’t judge you, and you all just click when you’re together. You all probably have a lot in common and have spent endless hours hanging out and laughing together. Sure, you’ll have all kinds of friends in college, but this one is special because you all are sure to be friends long after college is over.