Going to Different School As Twin Sister
Siblings

Long Distance Relationships Aren't Just For Couples, They're For Twins Too

Going to a college three hours away from my sister is one of the hardest thing I've ever done.

231
Personal Photo

I'm going to be really cheesy here for a hot sec: Being a twin is one of the greatest things on the planet. It means having a best friend for all of eternity and being born with another half. It also means that you're never alone because you can rely on your twin to be there to support you, to lift you up when needed, and to have a friend that is always there by your side.

Let's be real: It's a sibling dynamic that is unparalleled to any other.

So I can't even begin to describe how hard it was when I first went away to college. That transition to not constantly seeing my twin every day was a struggle. In high school we were literally inseparable: our lockers were next to each other, we ate lunch together, when we took the bus we sat beside one another and shared headphones as we listened to music on my old iPod Nano. I mean, we even shared a room--I think I spent every second of every day with my sister by my side.

And now we currently go to separate colleges almost three hours away from each other. And I won't lie--we definitely needed that distance. I think we spent so much time with each other that we literally became one and the same. I don't think I found my true identity until I went to college and branched out, and I'm sure she can say the same.

But three years into college, I have to say the distance sucks (a lot). In my freshman and sophomore year, I grew more comfortable with the idea of being without her. I reminded myself that this was a good thing and it was necessary for me to continue growing as a person. Everybody was telling us that, so it had to be right.

Right?

I mean, yes, that is correct. But I'm now a junior in college and as I'm quickly approaching the end of the semester, I have to say that I hate not seeing my sister every day. I hate that our relationship isn't the same as it used to be. It's probably for the best that we're not conjoined at the hip anymore, but when we went on our own paths, our relationship weakened a little bit.

Which is primarily why I say that going to a different college as my twin is not fun. I don't like that we don't talk as much as we used to, but we're both really busy now and have our own lives to attend to.

Despite this, it's difficult, actually impossible, for me to say that I wish we did go to the same college. I have been given so many great opportunities at my university and I have met some of the greatest people in the world who I know will be my friends until the end of my days. I've connected and mentored relationships with faculty at my university that I know I would not have made if I went to the same college she did.

And I know that she is having the time of her life at her university. She is excelling in so many areas and is making relationships that I know will last a lifetime. She's happy where she is, and I'm happy where I am.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I miss my sister. A whole lot, actually. And even though I know going to different colleges is a good thing, it sucks sometimes. But that's what happens when you miss the ones you love, you go through periods of loneliness and just wishing that one specific person can be there beside you.

For me, that's my twin sister. She's the best person I know and I miss her every day. I never thought I would be in a long distance relationship with my sister, but that's basically what it is. But long distance relationships work out for people all the time, and I know me and my sister will be just fine in the end.