Why TV Shows Need To Stop Doing Revival Seasons | The Odyssey Online

Why TV Shows Need To Stop Doing Revival Seasons

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

46
hercampus.com

We get it. It's nostalgic. And if you're really attached to a certain series, it's even fun to watch. For about 30 minutes. Yes, for awhile now the "revival season" that many TV series like to give a try has been a sure thing to get fans back into watching a show that was most likely popular during its actual run. But for many, like myself, you just come out of watching each one bored, unimpressed and disappointed that it could not live up to the source material. They say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," but apparently studio execs are not aware of this phrase when they see money on the horizon. I get that it's not easy bringing a newer version of your original story out when there isn't the constant hype surrounding it like it had when it was on weekly, but if it can't match up or challenge the source material I wouldn't have touched it to begin with. If you're not aware of this latest trend of reviving a classic TV show, sit tight and I'll break some down for you.

1. "Fuller House" (2016 - )

Looking back on it now, this show wasn't perfect from the very start. While I'm not from the mid 80s-mid 90s era, this was always on Nick At Nite and other channels in syndication when I came home from school, so I took a liking to it. Watching it now, I realize there are much better programs I could have been watching during that time. Not to hate on beloved shows (especially ones that include John Stamos), but I think it's cheesy quality and cast were what made it such a staple in sitcom television at the time. But "Fuller House" is an entirely different flavor of cheese and cringe. Unless you're the minority in this debate, I didn't even laugh at the absurdity that I laughed with the original. It seems like just a ploy for this out of date cast to have a reappearance on the quick-to-pick-up streaming service, Netflix (as done with "Arrested Development" and other shows). Also, the Olsen twins aren't even in it -- which is made absolutely clear by obvious digs at them in the script. I don't know what I was expecting to gain from watching this last year, but the new series is just too painful to not mention first.

2. "Dallas" (2012)

This show has been over the top from the beginning, but that's mainly due to the fact that its soap opera qualities centered around JR Ewing (one of the most infamous love him/hate him characters in all of TV) and all the betrayal, backstabbing and drama that was going on in the Ewing family. However, many were quick to realize with this revival that that kind of camp and outrageous family drama is better left in the 20th-century format it was originally in. Larry Hagman, while electric in the original, is the only really standout character in this revival season, as many have noticed. Yes, this revival was able to tie up some loose ends, however, as Alessandra Stanley from The New York Times put it, "This version is palely faithful to the original without any of its seditious zest," which explains its cancellation.

3. "The X-Files" (2016)

Remember the commercial from the 2015 Super Bowl that revealed a new season was coming out? Remember hearing anything about it after it aired? Clever trick Fox. Here we have something that has had a successful run on television in the 80s and also two sub-par movies under its belt. So bringing it back for even more with the same characters, instead of something new with possibly new people is what makes it feel like it's not worthy of our time anymore. As Brian Lowry from Variety puts it "Throughout the premiere, it’s simply hard to escape the prevailing malaise of this being a deal-driven exercise, a chance to cash in on the name recognition of the title in a format that mitigated the time commitment for all concerned, particularly Duchovny and Anderson." It was only a six-episode season, which if anything should give creator Chris Carter the chance to make six thrill and action packed episodes filled with all that made us love the original seasons. But I guess that slipped his mind.

4. "Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life" (2016)

This one honestly breaks my heart. Don't get me wrong, there were some good things about this one. But there was so much else wrong with it, I could give you a top ten list (I won't but prepare for me to spoil some of it). As someone who recently got extremely into binge watching the original 7 seasons, I could compare them so closely to one another and this did not hold up. There were already loose ends with the original series' ending, but this... I don't even know where to begin. Have you ever been told to conceal any wound you have when you're out and about as to not infect it even more? That gross and maybe a little extreme analogy is similar to how I felt watching this four-part revival season. This is one of the best, and most notable casts in all of television in my opinion (i.e. Emily & Lorelei Gilmore, Paris Gellar, Jess Mariano, even Kirk!) but they really did not do a lot of their characters justice with their storylines by the end. From Rory's questionable actions and obscurely open-ended and immoral love life to Lorelei and Luke's failure to communicate (still??) to Layne barely having a major part, this revival season left me closing my laptop saying "huh" instead of the presumed tears I should have been shedding. There was so much hype around the final four words, and while I did actually think they were apt for what this show is about, it left me and others on such a cliffhanger that you just shouldn't leave your entire fanbase on if you don't plan on following it up with another season. Team Logan and Team Jess fans, prepare for one of you to be pretty disappointed. And "Stars Hollow The Musical" ... I can't even get into that.