True Life: I Worked At The Mall For Santa

This Christmas season was definitely one for the books!

16
WWP Northridge Fashion Center Yoonsin Park

Recently, I was hired at the mall to greet customers and their kids who are telling Santa what is on their list, and taking pictures. Some say, "Aww how cute! You're so lucky you get to work with kids!" But don't forget I also work with their parents. My first few shifts were great, not many people would come to take pictures, and when they did me and my co-workers did not not have to rush to the next customer in line. After this past weekend I began to question if this job was really something that I wanted to continue doing by the time Easter comes around.

Of course, my new co-workers warned me about what I was getting myself into, but I did not expect it to be how it was on this one Sunday afternoon. After not getting enough sleep the night before, standing up for five hours and greeting all of our customers, repeating our only package to each and every one of them I started to hate the sound of my voice. But then I'd ask myself would I rather be doing cashier?

Or taking the Santa pictures of the crying babies?

No, I'll continue to greet. Thank you very much.

As time passes, customers become impatient and question our line and package. Our line starts outside of the set away from Santa and the cash register. The greeter (me) is at the beginning of the line and tells each customer what our package is, checks in customers with reservations, and tells them when they can go inside the set. So the line flows in an "S" shape, starting with the check-in, then the family portrait, finally proceeds to Santa and, last but not least, check-out.

Our package includes a digital download of all the images, which includes a family portrait, which is optional, but it is free with the package so why not take it? After customers decide to take the family portrait they can go ahead and take their picture with Santa. Then, customers are able to view and pick which pictures they want printed out with Santa, and then pay. They can also print the family portrait out for an additional price.

While the lines were long other customers with reservations were allowed to go in front of other customers who were waiting.

"Hi," said the happy customer, knowing that she would not have to wait in line. "I have a reservation for 3:11 p.m.!"

"Excuse me, can you explain how this line works?

" said the customer who had been waiting in line for the past 20 minutes. "Why did they get to go in front of me?"

"They had a reservation," I said, "but you are next in line."

My biggest pet-peeve on the job was dealing with rude, impatient customers. Instead of customers waiting to talk to me they would shout or walk up to me while I am taking a family portrait or explaining the package to another customer. "Excuse me, ma'am, is this the line for Santa?! Excuse me, can I get a sheet with the prices? Excuse me can I go to Santa? Excuse me, how long is the wait?"

"I will be with you in one minute," I said, as I proceeded to take the picture and explain the package.

As the days went by, and Christmas Eve approached, I started to cherish the fun moments and inside jokes I had with my co-workers. They made everything better, and less-stressful.

Overall, the job wasn't that bad, especially since it only lasted a month for me. I enjoyed taking pictures of the beautiful little babies with big smiles, they made it easy for me. Plus, their excitement to see Santa rubbed off on me and I was not so much of a scrooge. Also, as an employee I got a free picture with Santa, so I invited my friends to come as well and they came out really nice. Thanks to my amazing manager and co-workers for always understanding, and relating, and thanks to the very few cute, happy little kids who made it easy for me to take pictures and say "I am willing come back and do it all over again with the Easter Bunny."

Children are our future and, as adults, we need to teach them to find joy in any and everything they can. Happiness is the key to a happy life, so don't be bitter because it will and does show through your children. Do not wait the last minute to take your pictures with Santa, take them in November. Us employees have lives and families to attend to as well on Christmas Eve. But above all I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and I wish you all a Happy New Year!