Top 6 tips for first-time dog owners - The Odyssey Online

Top 6 tips for first-time dog owners

Are you considering getting your first dog, or have you already brought a little one home and feel a bit overwhelmed and confused with the newness of it? There are a lot of things you'll learn when you first get a dog, so let us help you out by giving you six important tips for first-time dog owners

14
Top 6 tips for first-time dog owners

There will be an adjustment period

Your dog will take some time to settle in, whether it's a puppy or an older rescue. How they will behave and how long it will take for them to adjust will vary between individuals. Just be aware that they might not be showing their real personality yet; your dog might be acting very scared and nervous but become more confident over time, or they will seem very relaxed and easy-going only to become extremely active in the future. Be prepared for this, and be patient with your dog. Give them time and a routine and take it easy.

Have a dog-sitter

You might not have thought of a dog-sitter yet, figuring that's a problem for when you plan to go on vacation or will be out all day. This might be true in most cases, but there are also a variety of factors that could make you urgently need someone to take care of your dog. Whether it be a medical emergency or unexpected trip, make sure you've planned ahead and know who to ask so that it won't become another point of stress for you when it's needed.

Decide on your rules

If you own a dog with a partner or family, you're likely to have different ideas about how the dog should live and behave. It's important that you agree on these things beforehand, though, to avoid a confused, misbehaving dog and tension in your relationship. Is your dog allowed on the furniture, or should it sleep in a crate? Are you fine with the dog being fed leftovers, or would you prefer a dog that doesn't beg for food? Be open, honest and straightforward about these things and come to an agreement with everyone involved.

Learn about dog body language

Dogs are good communicators, but they will show you their mood through more than just growling and or wagging their tails. You don't need to become a master of dog behaviour, but you will need to understand their body language in order to assess your dog's needs. Bothering a dog that is clearly trying to tell you that it's annoyed might lead to severe accidents, but a dog will almost always try to warn before they bite or pee in the house. If they do pee in the house, you can always use an enzyme cleaner from a company like PetLab. That is the best way to get the smell and stain out of carpets and floors. It's up to you to learn to recognise these warnings so that you can give your dog the space it's requesting, whether it's from people or other dogs.

Get professional help

Training a dog by yourself is difficult even when you're experienced. If your dog is a puppy, it's important to create a good foundation for their behaviour. If it's an adult, they might have behavioural issues that you only reinforce if you don't know how to address them. Don't hesitate to get help from a dog trainer. This is easy to do even before problems arise, as many offer a consultation where they can predict possible future problems or identify what your dog needs.

Know what your breed needs

Finally, dogs are individuals, but their breeds play a big part in their temperaments. Ideally this is something you do before you bring a dog home, but even if it's already there, make sure you know what to expect from this breed. The amount of exercise that different breeds require is extremely varied, and you're bound to run into huge behavioural issues and end up with an unhappy dog if you're giving a German Shepard the daily walks suited for a Pug. Read up on your breed and adjust your care and expectations accordingly – it's a lifesaver.