Why No One Should Have "Final Thoughts" | The Odyssey Online

Why No One Should Have "Final Thoughts"

Tomi Lahren and her fans have a dangerous mindset.

37
Why No One Should Have "Final Thoughts"
The Grio

Today, more than two hundred million people in the US are active on Facebook. If you happen to be one of them, its more than likely that over the past few months, your timeline has been flooded nonstop with friends liking and sharing political posts; both praising the candidate they support and bashing the one they dont. If youre nodding your head right now and recalling the last few things you most recently scrolled past, good, were on the same page, you should keep reading.

While some posts state facts and others poke fun, theres one video segment going viral that is unlike any other: "Final Thoughts by Tomi Lahren".

If youre not familiar with the name, lucky you. You must run a tight ship of a Facebook page; only accepting requests from actual friends, incapable of sharing such hate-filled media. However, if youre like me and spent the majority of high school adding every single person you ever came in contact with as a friend on Facebook, its likely that the bleach blonde of The Blazehas popped up on your timeline after every major current event. Consequently changing your opinion of that girl you met one time freshman year, and until her recent obsession with Tomi, only posted pictures of her puppy. You regret every like you ever gave that golden labradoodle.

Tomi Lahrens most popular videos are titled, Tomi's Final Thoughts: America Loves Trump & Dems are Confused, Tomi's Final Thoughts on Hillary's Feminism: Sorry Hill, You Don't Speak for Me!, and Tomis Final Thoughts: Black Lives Matter' Is New KKK. It doesnt take a genius to assume what youre going to hear when you click one of those links and what kind of person would be arrogant enough to title them. What you probably didnt expect though, is that the young woman is completely alone, staring into the camera, spewing anger and shouting empty rants, rarely backed by facts. Her language and high volume rally hate, and by the end of her tirades, she herself is worked up. Its possible you, like myself, were genuinely curious and expected a well spoken intellectual explaining why “Dems are confusedor why Hil doesnt speak for her. As someone who respects other opinions and likes to hear how people feel about issues, I hoped to gain another perspective from Ms. Lahren, maybe a point of view I never considered. Instead, I stared at my computer screen as a tiny woman yelled at me for a few minutes. (Yes, I watched the entirety of each video every time. Its like a train wreck; you cant look away.)

Many individuals and social media platforms have taken to the internet to disprove Tomis rants. They shed light on the fact that her rhetoric is merely blind anger with no tolerance. The public isnt blind. Theyre aware that Tomis goal is to ignite her followers and keep the hate blazing. (Hmm, maybe thats why Glen Beck named the network The Blaze?) And while I applaud these individuals for calling Tomi on her sh*t, my issue with her is a far more problematic, universal mindset. My issue is that her intolerant thoughts are FINAL.

The word finalis scary. There is no room after final. No room to learn. No room to grow.

Tomi Lahren is a white female. She grew up in the midwest, in a military family. She is reportedly in a serious relationship with a Navy Seal/Officer. She clearly has very specific life experiences, which only she can relate to and pull her opinions from. Yet, she seems to lack the capability of acknowledging that others have their own unique situations and upbringings. The name of her show alone should be enough proof to demonstrate her closed mindedness. Final Thoughtsis the exact opposite of what this country should be liking and sharing. By ending her rants with, those are my final thoughts, Tomi immediately denies any chance of dialogue. This is extremely dangerous during a time when ideas need to be shared and voices need to be heard across party lines. Should we be encouraging the idea that anyone, of any age, of any race, should have FINAL opinions? Or should we welcome the idea of different thoughts, different experiences, and different conclusions?

Notice how her show consists solely of her and her alone; passionately speaking her mind in stream of consciousness monologues. No one to stop her mid-rant and point out, well no, actually the KKK was a group that actively advocated for white supremacy, the Black Lives Matter movement is purely against police brutality. Which is an action, not a group of people. So..And then we could listen to her response. Maybe she would have something mind-blowing to say in response, maybe we would all understand why she feels that the BLL is the new KKK. But alas, well never know if she had a real point to make. Conversation is truly amazing. She should really try it.

I wonder if she listens to anyone but herself and those similar to herself. Are her days filled with her own voice, endless shouting rants in her head? Sure, her fans rally behind her. She would destroy anyone in a debate!” “Shes so well spoken!” “Shes so right.But, I for one truly hope the day comes when shes brave enough to welcome a guest on her stage, maybe even someone just slightly different from herself. Im not even talking about a liberal here, maybe just someone with a brain.

It is impressive that someone so young is able to produce such long-winded and intense responses to the world. But, I personally am more impressed by someone who is able to learn from others, someone who can say, I understand where youre coming from., I never thought of it that way, or I see your point.You know, someone with a heart.

Do we, as the next generation in line to raise children, want to give them idols that teach to never expand their horizons? To never talk to those different than themselves? To have FINAL thoughts on topics that they have yet to fully explore?

Heres hoping that less hateful voices like hers are heard and more peace-seeking personalities emerge to unite our generation. These are not my final thoughts, because I am open to listening, learning, and growing. I challenge Tomi Lahren to do the same.