To The Right Guy I Met At The Wrong Time

Why is it that you always meet the most perfect guy, at the absolutely worst time?

2352

You know that guy you met the summer before moving away for college, the guy you met while interning in another city, the one you met when you weren’t quite over your ex, or the one you met right around the time your priorities were to focus on yourself, school or work? The right guy, at the wrong time.

You don’t see it coming because you’re not looking for it and out of nowhere this incredible person waltzes right into your life. For me, this happened the summer before leaving for my senior year of college. I was working at a bar in my hometown and visiting for the weekend, and there was this guy who I just had an immediate connection with. A college student that was sticking around for the summer with his friends, and me, a townie bartender home for the summer. I can’t exactly explain how it happened, but our lives somehow blended into one for the summer. I hadn’t ever met someone who I felt so comfortable with so quickly, as well as never met someone who treated me better. Throughout the summer, we became closer and closer, learning more about each other and realizing how strange our meeting was but how happy we were that my small little town brought us together.

August was quickly approaching and it was going to be time to head back to school, back to my life hours away from this amazing guy I just spent the entire summer with. My senior year, my last year with my sisters and my friends and the last year to try and figure out what the hell I was going to do with my life. He was going back to school too, back to his fraternity, friends and work. We were both going back to the lives we are used to and absolutely loved, and that neither of us knew anything about. How were we supposed to make this work? I felt like I knew everything about him but towards the ending of the summer I realized I didn’t. We were living in this little and beautiful bubble we made for ourselves for that summer, but it wasn’t real life.

Meeting this guy was one of the best things that happened to me, I got the opportunity to spend a summer with one of the most amazing people I have ever met. A kind, thoughtful, funny, amazing person who finally treated me the way a girl is supposed to be treated. But now I had to leave him, not because I wanted to or because there was something wrong with the relationship we built but simply because our lives were headed down two different paths. What if we went to the same school? What if I met him the summer after graduating? What if I was staying home for a semester? All questions running through my head, but none mattered because I met the right guy at the wrong time.

Timing is one of the hardest things to deal with, you know that song by Michael Buble, "I Just Haven’t Met You Yet?" He says, “I guess it’s half timing and the other half’s luck.” It’s completely true, I was the luckiest girl in the world to meet this incredible guy I cared for so much, but completely unlucky at the same time because it just wasn’t the right time. It’s completely heartbreaking, and for some people they make the timing work. They push through the difficulties facing them and the incredibly bad timing and make it to where the timing is just right. For others, it just doesn’t end up working out simply because of timing.

So to all those guys that all us girls met at the very wrong time, thank you for the time we could spend together and the moments we shared with you. Hopefully we cross paths again, maybe when things are a little bit different.