Tips for Decorating Your Dorm

Tips for Decorating Your Dorm

From Drab to Fab

25
Tips for Decorating Your Dorm
Orangeville Hostel

College, the place you go to get an education, live all on your own and for some, to get away from your parents. Although you may not have much to work with your dorm room, decorating can completely change the space. Think of it as a blank slate that you can transform into your own little sanctuary.

Decorating your dorm to reflect your personal style and personality will allow you to feel more at home. You will be living in your dorm room for the full school year, so why not make it yours? Skip the Pintrest DIY's, take notes, and watch your room go from jail cell to HGTV’s “after”.

1. Determine the dimensions of your room

Figure out the space you have to work with. You can find the dimensions of your dorm room on your college webpage. Knowing this will help you decide on furniture configuration including whether or not to loft or bunk your beds, how much under the bed storage is available, and how much floor space you have.

2. Pick a Color Scheme

This usually starts with your bedding. It can be a solid or a pattern—it’s usually the easiest way to pick a color scheme for your room. The rest of the items you pick should reflect this central, focal point, and usually match or work well with it. Once you’ve done this, look for accessories and other added pieces to the room to coordinate color you’ve chosen. If you have roommate and want a more uniform look, be sure to coordinate your color scheme.

3. Photos

Photos are the ideal way to make your dorm room feel like home. Pick photos of your friends, your family, your dog, or your favorite vacation spot, then organize them and send them to be printed at CVS, Walgreens, or Costco. Be sure to look for coupons!

Once you have your pictures in hand, pin them onto framed bulletin boards for an elegant look. If you’re feeling crafty purchase letters of your initials, in cork, cardboard, or wood, and hodge-podge your photos on there or choose a favorite photo and enlarge it to poster size.

4. Wall Decals

These will add a homey feel to your bare dorm room walls. They can feature cute sayings, motivational quotes, or your initials. These can be found at Marshall’s, Home Goods, Pottery Barn, or, for customized designs, on etsy.com.

Tapestries, banners, and flags are another are a great way to cover the cold, white walls while showing your style, adding warmth to the room and making the place feel more cozy.

5. Lights

These are another decorating design that adds coziness as opposed to harsh (and not so flattering), fluorescent lighting. Be sure to purchase extra lamps for your desk and over your bed, but don’t forget to use lighting as a decorating technique too—the brighter the better! Christmas lights or string lights are perfect for these. Remember to load up on Command strips for mounting; they come in a variety of sizes and styles

6. Pillows

They are not just a place to rest your head for your afternoon nap, but another place to let your style shine. Play with color and mix and match patterns that bring out your color scheme.

7. Additional seating

If space permits, offer a place for your guests to sit (who wants people on their bed anyway?). This can range from plush folding chairs to bean bags or, even better, ottomans which offer additional storage.

8. Storage

Aside from decorating, storage is a key aspect of dorm life. You’ll find that there are lots of ways to add storage—some of which can double as furniture (like cute ottomans). You'll be able to raise your bed as well for added under-bed storage room.

9. Mirror

Obviously a necessity, place the mirror on the back of your dorm room door to create the illusion of a bigger space.

The time has come for you to move away to college and since you can not literally pack your room and bring it with you the first step is decorating your dorm to make it say “home.” These small tips will make the transition from home to college a little more tolerable. Happy decorating!