Three Tests, Four Quizzes, and a Paper? | The Odyssey Online

Three Tests, Four Quizzes, and a Paper?

How to beat the "school" HEAT...before it beats you?

7
Three Tests, Four Quizzes, and a Paper?

This year is already in the swing of things. Let's make sure we stay on top of everything this year and NOT fall short. 

About this time every year, the work for all of your classes starts to pile up on your desk, which appears to be better used as a dining table, vanity, or a crafting station. You dig through your unorganized planner to find out that you have three tests, four quizzes, and a paper due next week. Before you start freaking out and deciding that this week will require junk food, hours of cramming, and no sleep, let me share with you the study habits that I have used to my advantage on weeks like these. 

1.Color-code your planner. 

If you’re like me, you convince yourself that you need everything while you are shopping for school supplies. But one thing that I do not regret buying is the pack of six colored sharpie pens. Everything that I am involved in has its own color: classes are blue, sorority activities are pink, extracurricular activities are green, etc. While my OCD may be showing, I promise I have never had a more orderly start to a semester. TIP: If you are more focused on your classes try using a different color for each class instead. 

2. Sleep. 

Now I know you’ve probably heard this from your parents and teachers constantly, but this is important. Now for a short lecture: this semester I am taking an educational psychology class and one of the things we have recently learned is the process information goes through to be saved into your long-term memory. After you study something, your brain takes a few hours to consolidate the information completely. If anything minor interferes with this process it affects how much of the information is actually being stored in your memory. These minor interferences include lack of sleep. Lecture complete. I promise, if you sleep you will be doing yourself a favor. 

3. Where should you study? 

Not in your dorm (or any personal room, actually). There are far too many distractions for you to even begin concentrating. You have your TV, your friends, and your bed. From personal experience your bed being close to you while you study is a terrible thing. You start out at your desk thinking about how you’re going to get so much done and then you’re in your bed watching Netflix. Don’t let yourself get there. The library should be your main study space. I’ve heard all of the excuses before, and probably used them all too, but it’s there for a reason. There are quiet places with desks. That’s all you need. It’s just you and your work with minimal, if any, distractions. 

4. Don’t stress. 

Although it seems impossible, you will get through this week. You made it this far. You are at a top 20 university for a reason. When you focus on what needs to be done, you will accomplish it. There is no need, and no room for stress in your life.

Most importantly, YOU GOT THIS!