Thoughts From The Gym

Thoughts From The Gym

A sampling of the things that run across your mind while working out at your local gym.

9
Thoughts From The Gym
Telegraph UK

There I am, halfway through my backwards lunge, sideways lunge and squat circuit. I'm just doing my own thing on a mat in the corner of the gym, tucked out of the way so I can focus on my workout. I'm sweaty, I'm tired and I have my music pumped as loud as I can handle to carry me through my circuit. I'm going good, nothing can stop me and I'm so focused — wait. Is that guy walking over here? Wait, crap, he's saying something. I literally can't hear anything you're saying right now, dude. Uh, I'll smile and nod. Yeah. He's not leaving. Ugh. Um, I guess I have to take off my music and talk to this kid; not like I'm busy or anything. Geesh.

1. "No, I'm not here to find a date — I'm here to work out."

Ever since I stopped using my high school's gym and I started going to a public gym, I've noticed that the environment can be a little bit, well, intimidating. When I'm lifting, I'm most likely one of the few girls using the weights, while there are huge guys all around. I've also noticed that when you're one of the only girls, you stand out, whether you want to or not. Almost every day there's at least one person at the gym who tries to talk to me. And, of course, it's at the worst possible time. One day, dying on top of the step-mill, sweat pouring off of me, a guy walks up to me. Completely out of breath and basically a wheezing mess, I have to answer his question and explain to him the difference between the step-mill, stair-stepper and stair master. Yep. After this, he proceeded to ask me if I knew what was going on tonight at the bars down the street. No, I don't. I'm working out. Honestly, I take my training very seriously. I'm not really interested in meeting guys. I want to get stronger.

2. "How long are you going to use that machine?"

You know the type: they do one set, walk around and socialize a bit, grab some water, run back to the locker room, then leisurely come back to the machine — and it's been 15 minutes. All while you patiently wait to use that machine. Now, I get that everyone is entitled to their turn, but come on.

3. "'General Hospital' reruns? Again?"

Even though some of the machines have remotes built in, they don't usually work. So, you're stuck watching whatever rerun is playing at 2 p.m. on a Thursday. Man, I cannot sit through another soap opera while on this erg — wait, Cindy isn't dead?

4. "Wait, did someone just get hurt?"

Never mind, it was just the huge guy grunting at the squat rack.

5. "Is that an earthquake?"

Never mind, it's just the squat rack guy dropping weights.

6. "Seriously, I'm not looking for a date."

No joke, a 75-year-old guy asked me if I was married the other day at the gym. Upon hearing that I had a boyfriend, he told me that my boyfriend must like that I go to the gym. Yikes.

The gym is always an interesting time, no matter what. Hopefully you can push through the distractions and get your sweat on — sometimes all it takes is some loud music and maybe a bit of ignoring your surroundings.