5 Things You Realize After Graduating High School

You probably didn't think twice about these things until after you tossed your cap.

13
HerCampus

1. You won't see all of your classmates together in one place again.

Now you may have already realized it or you may have been told this before, but you aren’t promised to see all your classmates together anymore. No matter how much you say you hated people in your school, you WILL miss them after high school is over. Some of you may go to college after high school, some may move out of state for college and others may even go on to serve our country. You may bump into some at the supermarket by chance on a messy hair day, but never again in a classroom. Cherish the moments being together in high school because it won't be that way for long. Senior year goes by FAST!

2. You'll have fewer friends than you think.

As sad as it is, it's true. If they don't hang out with you outside of school, then there is a high chance that you probably won't ever see them again. All the friends that you thought were going to "miss you" don't keep in touch with you, but you can bet your bottom dollar that people will write “KEEP IN TOUCH BABY!” in your yearbook. In reality, they're just saying it because it's the end of the year and it’s senior year.

3. You're solely responsible for yourself now.

Congratulations! You just graduated high school! You know what that means right? More responsibility! YAAYYY!!! Not only do you have to budget what your spending but you also get to budget what you're NOT spending also! You start to realize how easy you had it in high school when you could just go out to eat at different restaurants and not even think about the soup in the cupboard. Those Ramen noodles are your go-to when you have only three dollars in your bank account! If you want to go out to eat with friends, you'll learn how to spend your cash more wisely...or you could be the friend making up excuses to why you're not going out because you're "too tired."

4. You're going to miss high school.

Now I know some juniors are going to say, "Yeah, right. We aren't going to miss anything about this high school. We can't wait to leave!" Trust me, I said the same exact thing. However, I am the person that sat through graduation with tears in my eyes feeling embarrassed because people were looking at me and the camera man was snapping photos while the tears streamed down my face and snot welled up inside my nose as I tried to suck it back up into my head before anyone caught me crying like a big baby.

5. So... now what?

Your future awaits you. Everything you do and every choice you make now affects you later on. Make sure to think wisely, but don't be a bore either. Have fun and live for the moment because life will move really fast.