Things Redheads Will Only Understand | The Odyssey Online

Things Redheads Will Only Understand

Growing up as a redhead isn't always as fun as it may have seemed.

13
Things Redheads Will Only Understand
Tyler McRobert

I was born with orange fire red hair, and pale casper-like skin. I am what one refers to as a natural redhead. Now us redheads have been continually told throughout life that we are the spice and unicorns of people, with only 2% of the worlds population having red hair. (that's only 140 million people!) Now while having hair that is the color of blood may be exciting to almost every other person in the world, being a redhead can actually be quit annoying and taxing.

1. People feel the need to constantly tell you what you can actually do with your own hair.

They tell that you should never ever dye it since people pay lots of money to try and get that color but can't. I'm happy that my hair color is aesthetically pleasing to your eye, but it is also mine, and there for if I decide I want it to be blue, you don't retain the right to treat me like a monster. I have been looked at as if I have just shot a person when I simply state to strangers that I would actually like to change the color of my hair.

2. Certain colors do not work for you

This is a two fold problem. Not only do you have to work around the color of your hair with your outfits, but you also normally have to work around the color of your skin as well. Whites are out of question because they wash you out. Certain hues of greens are out of question unless you want to look like a walking christmas celebration. Yellows and pinks are daring and interesting to see when done correctly and well. Blues and Blacks are basically the safe haven. These are the colors that you will most often find redheads wearing being that they work well with the colors and compliment them.

3. The bullies in elementary and middle school made it hard to love

Maybe this was only me, but I was horribly bullied growing up for the color of my hair. I was asked if I dunked my head in Cheetos, Doritos, or any other bright orange/red colored snack. I was asked if I cut my head every morning to achieve my coloring. Other and more hurtful names were also used as I grew older, and the comments often got more lewd and crude. I'm sure you can guess the other more adult slurs I was called as a Redhead, but if not, pursue urban dictionary to be educated on the names.

The list for things that Red heads understand can go on for years, but these are the three that I encounter and deal with day in and day out. Here are to my ginger friends, may you live happy and lucky lives!