5 Things All Education Majors Are Tired Of Hearing

We know, we know, we don't get paid very much.

4
drake.edu

Being a teacher is harder than it looks. Just ask education majors! You know, as long as they aren't doing mountains of homework or teaching in a classroom or tutoring in a school in their community. One way to keep your education major friends on your good side is to not say these things to them.

You're going to be a glorified babysitter:

No. We. Are. Not. Kids are not sent to school in place of daycare. Kids are sent to school to learn. Education majors do not go to school to learn how to change diapers, provide snacks, and clean up after kids. Education majors go to school to learn how to teach students and how to provide them with a safe learning environment. We will not wipe snot from kids' noses.

You're only an education major because you're lazy/the other majors are too hard

Wrong again. Education majors are some of the hardest working students on campus. As education majors, we get thrown into the "real world" starting our first semester. As a Secondary Education major and an English double major endorsed in American History and Government and English, I'm basically a double major and a double minor. Not only am I taking education classes, history classes, politics courses, and English seminars, I am also expected to complete more than 40 hours of student teaching and be involved (tutoring, after school programs, etc.) in the community. Education majors are not lazy. Education majors are not Education majors because it's "easy." We are education majors because we genuinely care about the education in our country and around the world.

What do you even do in Education classes?

Education classes are very much like any other class. There is a professor and desks and textbooks, not Play Dough and crayons and macaroni art. In education classes we study things like the history of education and who/what was influential. We study educational philosophy and different methods of teaching along with assessments and lesson planning. We get taught how to teach. Our homework is no different than any other majors' homework. We have readings due every class, essays, research paper, and group presentations. Trust us, Ed majors are just as stressed out and ready for the weekend as everyone else. (So quit complaining pre-med majors!)

Those who can't do, teach

First of all, it's "Those who can do, teach" because that makes more sense. Why would anyone want someone who doesn't know what they're doing to try and teach them how to do it? Who better to teach you something than someone who is proficient in that thing? You guessed right, son. Teachers.

But the comment that sends Education majors into fits of rage the most...

You're going to be poor your whole life:

Newsflash! We know that teachers don't get paid the way that they should. Trust us, we know. But what most people do not understand is that teachers and going-to-be teachers are not in it for the money. We know we aren't going to get filthy rich being teachers and we're okay with that. We want to be teachers because we are passionate people. We are passionate about learning, we are passionate about our area of study, and we are passionate about helping others. We want to become teachers because we want to make a difference, whether that difference is monumental or just in one child. To us, making a difference in the life of a child is monumental. We become teachers because we love what we do. My Education major friends are some of the most authentic, down-to-earth people I have ever met in my entire life. Having the opportunity to watch them learn and develop into the teachers they will be one day and getting to learn and develop alongside them is an incredible experience.

Teachers are selfless, hardworking, and under-appreciated. Think of where the world would be without teachers and think twice before dropping one of these lines around us.

Thank you teachers everywhere!