The Way God Loves Us

The Way God Loves Us

He doesn't love us because we've done anything worthy of His love, but simply because He chose to love us.

141
The Way God Loves Us
Priscilla Du Preez

There's a song I've been listening to fervently over the past few week called "Who Am I" by Casting Crowns. The lyrics are so profound that as a Christian, you can relate to them on every level. It touches your spirit. Even if you may not identify as a Christian, you would agree that the lyrics are quite impactful.

The song starts off by bringing up questions such as "Who am I, that the Lord of all the Earth would care to know my name? Would care to feel my hurt?" Then as the song goes on, it indirectly answers these questions.

Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done
Not because of what I've done
But because of who You are

What these lyrics mean is that God is good not because of who you are or anything good that you've done, but because of what Jesus Christ did for us all and for who He is as a loving God.

Romans 5:6-8 "You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Just imagine, God, our Creator, loving us all so much that He came into the flesh as the Son to die as the ultimate sacrifice for mankind's sins. He wanted and still wants to see us have life, and life more abundantly. Romans 5:6-8 discusses the fact that a person just might die for another person who they know is good, but even then there's still a possibility that they wouldn't. But just imagine, in knowing this, that God, the Son died for the ungodly, the sinners, the wicked. What Christ did for us is the epitome of love, and we must always remember that God is love (1 John 4:8).

The love that God has for us is something that cannot compare to any other kind of love. I went to church last Sunday and the pastor preached on something that I've never heard explained before but made perfect sense. He was preaching on love and the different types that exist. There are four types of love: storge love, philia love, eros love, and agape love. Storge, philip, eros and agape are all Greek words and two of these exact words actually appear in the New Testament of the Bible.

Storge love is the kind of love that exists between individuals, whether that be a love for one's parents, children, friends, and so on. It's a more general term in expressing what love means. Philia love is the kind of love that exist specifically between friends. Eros love is the kind of love that exist between spouses. But agape love is the kind of love that only comes from God, and is the greatest of all loves. It is unconditional.

Agape love is different from all of the other types of love because it does not come from a sentimental place, but simply from God's will to love us. He doesn't love us because we've done anything worthy of His love, but simply because He chose to love us. And as Christians, we must live in the Spirit every single day and strive to spread this kind of agape love. This unconditional love that only comes from God.

1 Corinthians 13

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.