The Warrior Of Wayne State

The Warrior Of Wayne State

10 tips to thrive and survive at WSU

19
The Warrior Of Wayne State

Wayne state may not be one of the easiest campuses to navigate in Michigan, but it is one of the best. With Lions, Tigers, and Wings (Oh My!) in our backyard, as well as a plethora of educational resources, we have a campus unlike any other in the Great Lakes state. Unfortunately many Warriors who enter their first year find it hard to navigate. Some students are so discouraged, they end up leaving Wayne State for 'greener pastures.' Here are some tips that I have picked up in my 5 years in Midtown that will help make the most out of your time at WSU.

1. Don't be afraid of Detroit.
Don't let your parents or grandparents discourage you from making the jump to Wayne State. They may have seen the race riots and still see the news that comes out of the city (in areas far from our campus). Midtown is one of the safest areas in the city and has an excellent Wayne State University Police Department that offers a wide array of programs that promote campus safety. Don’t let the negativity around the city keep you from exploring it, just use common sense when exploring on your own at night off campus. Walk with friends, use a taxi, or even an Uber driver to get to locations further away after the sun goes down.

2. Sports Savings
If you are a sports freak like me, you’re going to love Wayne State. With the Tigers, Red Wings, and Lions a short walk away, Warriors have options for sporting events year round. In order to enjoy these teams without going broke, check Stubhub regularly to get deals on upcoming games. Tigers games run cheapest at the end of the winter semester and you can even snag some playoff tickets for a weekday game. The NFL rescheduled games, training camp at Tom Adams Field, and the preseason always offers great discounts, while there is always college hockey to partake in. If you're a soccer fan, give Detroit City Football a chance in the summer down at Cass Tech High School. Wayne State hosts a fantastic array of Division II programs that compete with other Michigan Universities such as Grand and Saginaw Valley. Be sure to carry your One Card across the lodge this fall for one of the many football games!

3. Motown Music
Detroit has one of the best music scenes in the country! EDM? Yep. Rock? Of course! Country? Darn tootin'! There are places and events to keep you rocking throughout the year, so give your favorite artists a follow and check Live Nation Detroit for updates. Want to work in the music scene? The Fillmore and St. Andrews will post jobs now and then, so give their pages a follow too. I've gotten to see Slash, Fall Out Boy, Ed Sheeran, Fun., and imagine Dragons at the Fillmore -- Trust me, it's a sweet gig.

4. Financial Aid
I may not be reinventing the wheel with this piece of advice, but make sure you get your FASFA done on time every year. Late submissions will make it difficult if not impossible to get aid for the following year. Your aid package also depends largely on your academic standing, so be sure to pay attention in your classes (DUH!!). Give your loan provider an email you check regularly, apply for private scholarships through Wayne State, and consider paying off the interest on your loan as you go.

5. Parking with Street Smarts
Park smart. WSU just increased their parking rates for different lots around campus. Despite the increase, they still are better deals than trying to feed the meter all day. Detroit's meters often break, meaning you risk a ticket if you park there. The city tickets can be pricey and notoriously difficult to deal with, so don't chance it! There are several free areas to park on the streets, such as Second, Harper, and even Woodbridge area, but they fill up fast.

WSU has $1.75 lots on the outer ring of campus and even has a free lot at Woodward & Harper. If you're looking to save money, park in the reduced lots (you'll need to put money on your One Card). If you visit campus four or more times in a week, consider the parking pass.

6. Get involved
You get 110 percent out of the 100 percent effort you put, especially at Wayne State. If you meet a fellow warrior with a incredibly negative view of Wayne State, chances are they have never gotten involved. Organizations are always a great way to help new students find their niche and create a solid support group. Whether you like politics, Hula hoop, unicycles, or business, you'll find something to fit your interests. Explore the Dean Of Students Office website for a full list of clubs and organizations.

7. Go Greek
Greek life at Wayne State is among the best in America despite its small size. Several WSU greek chapters have been nationally recognized for excellence in community service and are among the most active groups on campus. The Greek Organizations help foster lasting friendships for life and give students skills to succeed in their careers. Grab more information from DOSO's page and get in contact with one that suits you.

8. Advising

Much like financial aid, you need to dedicate the time to visit with your advisor. Visit with your program's adviser at least once a semester to help plan classes, check progress, and plot the path to graduation. Some programs schedule online; go to wams.wayne.edu to see if you can squeeze yourself in, or go in on an open advising day.

9. Books

When it comes to your books, convenience comes at a cost. The bookstore may be on campus but there might be other places that sell your books much cheaper. Check Amazon for used and new books then compare it to the cost at the bookstore. Some professors will even allow you to use an old edition to help save money.

If you are willing to forgo a semester of doodling in your book, Chegg is a simple and cheap way to rent books. The libraries on campus allow students to check them out, but you have to keep them inside the building. They also have a few books in their databases, search the title in lib.wayne.edu and hope for the best.

10. Enjoy the City.
The most important part of your Wednesday experience? Enjoy and explore the city! Our University sits in one of the greatest cities on Earth (I might be a bit of a homer). The museums, festivals, events, restaurants, and so much more in walking distance. A lot of them are free or much cheaper than you would find in any other city, so capitalize on it!

Welcome to Wayne State! Follow these steps and you will have a fantastic college experience!