The Top 5 Life Lessons High School Taught Me

104
Cameron Krim

Throughout the course of high school, I experienced many things that changed my perspective on life and shaped who I am today—some things good, and others...not so much. Regardless, we all learn important life lessons during high school about life—whether we want to or not—that help us better understand the world around us. I'm going to share with you the ones I found to be the most important.

1. Keep Your Family Close.

I know that this sounds obvious, but it's also pretty common for teenagers to put their family on the back burner while experiencing high school headfirst. This definitely was my case freshman to mid-sophomore year. I ended up getting in a huge rut, and the only person who was able to understand me was, you guessed it, my mom. Ever since then, I have had an intense appreciation for my family, because, after all, they're there for you through thick and thin, even when no one else might be.

2. Always Keep Your Friends in Mind.

Now that I'm a freshman in college, things are a lot different. I've still yet to get acclimated to everything three months in—new friends, new classes, new surroundings, and even a new living space. With that being said, nothing helps me calm down more than talking to my old friends—especially my best friends. They will always be there for you, and you should be there for them, too. You never know if they're having trouble settling in and need someone to talk to.

3. Never Let Go of Your Values...

All throughout high school, I had the opportunity to partake in many activities that I didn't agree with, but my friends invited me, so I wanted to go. However, I always gave myself a small reality-check and never did anything out of my comfort zone. That still holds true in college. If I'm not comfortable with it, I'm gonna hang out with other people that night. Never do anything you wouldn't normally do unless you're completely prepared to, willing to, and you have weighed out every possibility.

4. ...But Don't Let Them Hold You Back.

In some situations, it's OK to experience things, so long as you do it carefully and in a safe environment. You can also still hang out with your friends and not do what they're doing, whether it's drinking, smoking, or whatever else it may be if you don't want to. Getting as much experience as you can under your belt is important for situations later on in life, especially in college, so you know how to react in certain situations!

5. Have Fun With Yourself!

High school is all about figuring out who you are. In that, you will definitely experience some pretty crazy things, but it's important to have as much fun as you are being careful. There's no sense in tiptoeing through life because not only does that leave you unprepared for scenarios in the not-so-distant future of college, it can also ultimately prohibit you from enjoying yourself. As long as you respect yourself and feel comfortable with what you're doing, nothing else matters!