The Struggles Of Having An Auditory Processing Disorder

Let's enjoy the quiet, shall we?

133
strangesounds.org

This is a very personal experience for me and takes a lot for me to put out in public, but I felt I wanted to share this with you. Most don't know what auditory processing disorder is in which I will now explain. Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) is a learning disorder that impacts the way you process information, such as in one ear and out the other. When I explain this to people they automatically assume I am deaf because of the auditory part. No, I am not deaf in fact its almost the complete opposite. Some people with APD have extremely sensitive hearing in which case is called "Hyposensory Processing" and that means that basically the world can be 10 times louder and crazier than most people process the world around them.

1. Concentrating in the library can be hard

For someone with APD, the sudden sound of the door slamming, or someone dropping books on the desk can be very easily distracting. Or even the click of opening and closing their binders or stapling papers.

2. Movie theaters

Going to the movies is always fun until you get there and realize that they seem to make it loud enough for the deaf to hear. It may not seem loud for those who do not have the hyposensory, but for those who do we almost near headphones to make us feel comfortable. And lets not forget about surround sound being almost the world thing ever invented.

3. Headphones are your best friend

Just being you always see us wearing headphones doesn't mean we can't hear you, but we are just blocking out the world around us to make us feel more comfortable. Going to the cafe for lunch and seeing how crowded it is can make us freak out. Hearing the chairs movie or the sound of clapping or laughing or forks with knives. We are very sensitive to the slightest noise most don't recognize. So in that case we wear headphones, which some of us can still hear the world around us. But having them on us 24/7 makes us way more comfortable knowing we can escape at anytime.

4. School events

Musicals or concerts can always be dreadful. Drums can be frightening as well, depending on the loudness of the music though. With music, it depends on how loud it is or sudden it is.

5. Anything fast-paced

This goes for motorcycles and trains, both loud and fast. Motorcycles are just one of those things I wish were never ever invented. Trains can be crazy with how fast they are plus the honking of their horn.

6. Explosions

I know a couple of people who love guns, fireworks, etc. I'm not sure why on earth you do because they do nothing for you. Gun are loud and dangerous, fireworks are pretty but extremely loud, and exploding things I just hate.

So those are several of things that can be hard for someone with auditory processing or hyposensory disorder. Life can be hard for those who have it, with the world being crazier than most see it. But do not let that take your shine away, it just means we process more than others don't which in our defense is almost a super power. Others may not always be able to relate, but this is what makes you you in a good way! Just because you enjoy the quiet life without anything crazy going on doesn't make you weird, it makes you who you are.