The Struggle Of Being An 80-Year-Old Trapped Inside The Body Of A 20-Year Old

9 Things Every "Grandma" Of The Friend Group Know To Be True

263
acmconnect

Being young is hard. You're constantly expected to be trendy and energized. But it's even harder when you're convinced that you are actually an 80-year-old woman trapped inside of a 20-year-old's body. This makes normal adolescent things like going out, socializing with other people your age and even understanding them extremely difficult. Here are nine things everyone knows to be true if they are mentally sixty years older than the rest of their friends.

1. You're never caught up on slang

It seems like there are new phrases invented everyday, and it's really hard to keep up. And it's even harder to use the phrases correctly. When you're friends tell you you're outfit is "on fleek" or complain that their boyfriend has been being kind of "sus," you have no idea what they're talking about. But lucky for you, Urban Dictionary was invented for people who can't keep up with new slang -- and it will save your life.

2. Sleep is always your number one priority

You require at least three more hours of sleep each day than anyone else your age and if you don't get it, you're useless. How your friends can pull all-nighters and stay out until 3 a.m. will never make sense to you. And it's almost impossible to convince you to do anything that will reacquire you to stay out late. You're happy staying in and going to bed at 8 pm, even if it means missing out on a night out with your friends.

3. You're the mom (or the grandma) of your friend group

While your friends are all making questionable choices and doing dangerous things, you're usually chasing after them reminding them to bring a sweater and to wear their seat belts. You're always prepared for any situations your friends might get themselves into by having hand sanitizer and bandaids handy, just like all mom of the friend groups should be.

4. The temperature always feels about 10 degrees colder to you than to anyone else

You're constantly shivering and fighting with your roommates over the thermostat. Even when it's 75 degrees and sunny out, you bundle up in a sweater to stay warm. You'll never understand how everyone is always out wearing crop tops and shorts, when you're bundled in jeans and a heavy coat.

5. You often use phrases that no one else understands

When you use say things like, "we're going to paint the town red" or "it was nothing to write home about," you often find yourself having to explain what you mean to everyone around you. Your friends are always telling you that you talk like their grandmas.

6. It takes a lot of convincing to get you to go out

Loud music, crowded places, cold night air -- it's all a bit overwhelming. That's why you usually make excuses to not have to go out with your friends at night. Leaving your house never seems like as much fun as watching Netflix or playing with your dog so you rarely even experience FOMO when you're the only one to stay in.

7. When you do go out, it takes a week for you to recover

Because you're use to spending most of your time indoors doing old woman activities, doing anything that requires standing for long periods of time is exhausting. After walking about a hundred feet or standing for over an hour, you can feel the lactic acid building up in your legs. Any outings at all take at least a couple of days to recover from, and dancing takes a month.

8. You're extremely good at things like baking and playing bridge

You're probably the only person your age (or under 70) that you know of that knows how to play bridge, and you're the best by far at baking. So whenever someone needs to junk out or be comforted by some homemade chocolate chip bread or biscuits, they go to you. You probably even taught some of your friends how to use the oven.

9. Grandparents love you

Grandparents always love you because they can relate to you. Whenever you meet your friends' grandparents, you get along so well that you find yourself wondering why you hang out with their grandchildren and not them.