On The 'Proper' Christian Worldview Of Homosexuality | The Odyssey Online

On The 'Proper' Christian Worldview Of Homosexuality

Why Christians ought to stop condemning homosexuals.

89
Jared Yttrup

“If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them” - Leviticus 20:13 (NKJ)

Biblical connotation that homosexuality is a sin and has no place in this world stands as a barrier between the American Church and the ever expanding population of same sex couples. This great divide brings into question how Christians ought to react and treat those in the gay and lesbian community. I believe that regardless of one’s sin, the Christian Church is a home for any and all people, because Christ has died to give us salvation from our sins… even homosexuality. I also believe that the Bible backs up this assertion with scriptural evidence that those in the gay and lesbian community ought to be just as welcomed and loved as even the most dedicated Christians. The American Christian Church operates under a stigma that they scornfully despise couples of the same sex. Whether it’s denying to perform marriages of same sex couples in their facilities, to preaching against the act of homosexuality, the Christian Church has always stood against the subject. Though homosexuality is indeed viewed as a sin and the notion is fortified through scriptural evidence, the exclusion and the prejudice against those who practice it only aides in the view that Christianity is marred by an aura of prejudice and hypocrisy against the love and grace God has shown. In its own right, the common Christian attitude towards those who practice homosexuality borders on the line of heresy in its most basic form.

One of the first arguments that is stated by Christians is that within the Bible, God specifically mentions that homosexuality is an abomination. Within the book of Leviticus, God commands Moses on the ardency of avoiding sexual impurity. Leviticus 18:22 states “do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.” Now to argue in the affirmative of a certain position and to support it with scriptural and extrabiblical sources, one must first present the contrarian position on that topic. Leviticus isn’t the only scriptural reference that refutes homosexuality. God demands in Leviticus 20:13 that the penalty for a man lying with another is to be put to death and this stands as a fortifying point that homosexuality is indeed a sin. Though one of the arguments could be that this notion is a product of Old Testament thinking, the reality is that the acceptance of homosexuality as a sin in God’s eyes stretches to the New Testament as well, particularly in the book of Romans. In his letter to the Romans, Paul argues against homosexuality and categorizes it as sin in Romans 1:27 saying, “men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.” Though these Biblical messages argue in the affirmative that homosexuality is a sin, looking into the more defined picture, its clear that the act of homosexuality as a sin, isn’t what’s on trial here.

The Biblical basis for the acceptance of homosexuals in the Christian church starts within the very same epistle that Paul wrote to the Romans. One of Paul’s main points comes in Romans 6:23 where he explains that, “For the wages of sin is death.” Many scholars point to this; among other verses, as proof that no sin holds more consequential nature than another. This belief, and the Bibles absence of scripture that provides rank to sin, would show that homosexuality is no worse or no better than any other sin that is committed. And by the words of Paul, any and all sin is punishable by death. Paul however, continues on in Romans 6:23, by assuring Christians that despite death being the wages of sin, “the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” All throughout the Bible, the basis of salvation, forgiveness and grace are main themes, despite the humanly condition of sin. Paul fortifies this notion in his letter to the church in Corinth as he states the sins of the church without granting higher disdain towards any one in particular. 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 states, “Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.”

Beyond the Biblical basis that no sin is worse than other, there must be a scriptural basis for why homosexuals should be embraced by the Christian Church, and the answer is found in passages such as Luke 23:34. Though Jesus was being tortured and set for crucifixion, he loved and had grace for all, even those who opposed him and did him harm. As the passage states, “Jesus said, 'Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.'" Despite his circumstances and the undeniable right for anger, Christ still loved all, and as Christians, we are called to seek God and be like him in our ways. If Christ showed love and grace for all, even those who sinned and strayed from the path the Lord had set, wouldn’t that be the ideal calling of Christians, to show love and acceptance to each and all, despite their sin? Based on the Scriptural evidence, Homosexuality is no different than other sins that are present in the Christian church every single day. From adultery, to deceit, greed, arrogance, and so on, sins are present in the Christian church and are overlooked or handled with extreme grace, and homosexuals should have no less right to be accepted and given grace like others who sin win them.

So even though the Bible is firm on its position as homosexuality as sin, there is still scriptural evidence that gives reason for grace and acceptance despite this sin. With no evidence that one sin is worse than the other, to the grace and love shown by Jesus to even his most dedicated enemies, the Christian church faces a Biblically based calling to accept, love and have grace for homosexuals despite their sins. The understanding of this lies heavily on the idea of scriptural authority in the Christian church and to what extent scriptural power has within. As Daniel Migliore explains in his book, Faith Seeking Understanding: An Introduction to Christian Theology, he asserts that the belief of scriptural authority isn’t to offer up scrutiny of those who fall short, rather it's meant to lift up the offer of forgiveness and salvation through God’s love in Christ. He says, “The authority of Scripture was rooted in its liberating message, in the good news of God’s gracious acceptance of sinners offered in Jesus Christ. The Bible was experienced not as an arbitrary or despotic authority but as a source of renewal, freedom, and joy.” So this understanding is that sinners are forgiven and accepted by God, regardless of their sins, and this is fortified in the scripture and its authority.

The issue of homosexuality in the Christian church throughout time has been somewhat of a static one, as it should be. The Christian church views homosexuality as a sin and has for the entirety of its existence and a paradigm shift on this matter doesn’t appear to be anywhere on the horizon; however, the treatment of those who practice homosexuality is where the shift of church standpoint has occurred. As the freethinking American society (in particular) has progressed, homosexuality has become a hot topic with an ever-expanding number and acceptance within culture. This emergence of gay rights activism and the debate surrounding the Christian church’s view of it has sparked two different approaches by separate churches throughout the country. This has caused churches to either stand more firmly against homosexuality and all those who partake, or more clearly define their belief of homosexuality as a sin, while still welcoming and including any and all homosexuals who wish to attend their church and get connected. Mark Achtemeier, a theologian of the Presbyterian Church who was once instrumental in the church banning gay ordination, has seen a paradigm shift in not just how the church has viewed homosexuals, but how he himself has changed his stance through the years. In his book, The Bible’s Yes to Same-Sex Marriage, An Evangelical’s Change of Heart, Achtemeier states that his belief changed when the idea of homosexuality as a hereditary trait that you’re born with came to take center stage. “There was absolutely nothing in Jesus’ life or ministry that even remotely resembled the kind of gratuitous cruelty that would bring someone into existence only for the purpose of breaking or condemning them. To the contrary: Jesus’ love and compassion broke through all the traditional barriers of his age." His statements play into the larger issue within the Christian church; that of the acceptance of homosexuals despite their practices or beliefs. He alludes to Christ’s acceptance of all people regardless of their sins as a compass for Christianity to accept homosexuals as one in the same, because sin is not measured as being worse than one form or another.

The issue of homosexuality as being something that one is born into isn’t just a cause for reassessment by Achtemeier. It is stated by Theologian John Boswell in his book, Christianity, Social Tolerance and Homosexuality: Gay People in Europe from the Beginning of the Christian Era to the Fourteenth Century, that Paul’s condemnation of homosexuality is based more on the act rather than the orientation of homosexuality. He argues that, “Those who Paul condemns here are only those who practice homosexuality when it is against their own nature." This assertion would be believed to argue that the Biblical message and God’s word show a distinct mention against homosexual acts, but not the sexual orientation of being homosexual. Theologian Douglas J Moo expounds on Boswell’s comments in his book, The NIV Romans Application Commentary, stating in light of Boswell’s comments, “it would be wrong for a person with heterosexual orientation to engage in homosexual relations, but not for a person with a “natural” homosexual orientation.” Though this idea presented within the Christian church could arguably be based on proof texting of Paul’s message of homosexuality, the emerging idea of homosexuality as being something you’re born with has caused a ripple effect of response by the Christian church.

Though the commonly held view of homosexuality as a sin hasn’t changed within the church, the attitudes towards those who practice it have. And the basis for acceptance has shifted from doctrine that argues against homosexuality to doctrine that argues in acceptance, grace, compassion and forgiveness. Christian Bible Reference, an online breakdown of scriptural references on different belief systems and viewpoints within the Christian church stands as a great source of understanding for the case of acceptance in the church based on scripture. It tackles the idea of whether or not homosexual males or females can be ministers or other clergy saying, “All of us, including clergy, are imperfect and sinners in our own ways (Romans 3:23, 1 John 1:8). The question seems to be whether homosexuality should disqualify a person from ministry while other sins (e.g., evil thoughts, greed, deceit, envy, arrogance and folly, Mark 7:20-23) do not disqualify a person.” Though there is no denial that homosexuality is a sin, there is admission that all those who are in a position of ministry suffer with their own sins, and why should homosexuality be the exception to the rule?

Theologian Millard Erickson touches base on this subject of homosexuals holding ministry roles in his book, Christian Theology. Erickson argues that, “While a homosexual orientation, combined with a celibate lifestyle, does not seem to be sinful, the consistent biblical proscriptions of homosexual practice seem to disqualify practicing homosexuals from holding such positions.” This argument would essentially make sense along with any sin that is being conducted by someone in ministry. The definition of sin, as given by Erickson is, “any lack of conformity, active or passive, to the moral law of God. This may be a matter of act, of thought, or of inner disposition or state.” Though we are born into a sinful human nature, we can still receive forgiveness upon seeking it from God and not practicing our sin in a regular light as if it were not sin. This is bounded by a modern culture in which homosexuality is becoming a more accepted and normal form of lifestyle within America.

With gay marriage becoming a large movement in America, there are several states that have moved to legalize the act. One of the biggest struggles with this is that Christian churches are coming under fire for refusing to perform these marriages for homosexual couples. Is this moral? Should Christian churches be willing to perform marriages for same sex couples? Either way, their choice in the matter is equally and rightfully defensible; however, whether or not Christian churches accept them in on to the church family is an entirely different matter. Politician Allen West points to an ethical problem that has arisen in the world today between society and the Christian church on the subject. The city of Houston Texas elected the first openly gay Mayor in the history of the country and one of her first acts was to subpoena all of the Christian churches in the region to turn over all of their sermons on the topics of homosexuality, gay marriage and even her. This act stands as just another cog in the battle between the Christian church and the gay community. With constant opposition to one another, there leaves no room for understanding and acceptance, and that’s not just the problem of the church. In an article published on his website, West concludes, “how does this bring anyone into alignment with the gay community if they are fully supportive of these initiatives.” This rather irrational move by gay activists is just another example of the great divide between these two sides, and though Christians are under attack as well, it is within our doctrine and our belief that regardless of oppression, attack, or differing beliefs, we are called to, “love your neighbor as yourself” as stated in Mark 12:31.

This notion that Christianity and the Christian church should accept the inclusion of homosexuals in their churches is one that is scripturally based and has a prominent role in the context of the ‘real world’. Today’s society has seen a rise in attack on the Christian church unlike any period in American history as well as seeing a gross rise in the number of gay rights activists and homosexuals themselves. As the cultural shift continues, the divide between the Christian church and homosexuals has grown and Christians continually shun away from the commandments of scripture in their acceptance of homosexuals. As Paul reminds us in Romans, “why do you judge your brother or sister? Or why do you treat them with contempt? For we will all stand before God’s judgment seat”. This reminds us that we ought not judge because we are in no place to judge; rather we should love and accept others, despite their shortcomings.

Though both sides share a difference of opinions and both fight against each other from time to time, the doctrine of Christianity calls us to be loving and accepting of all people regardless of their sins. We are not the judges of others because sin is not limited to those outside the church, rather it is within each and every person. I believe homosexuals belong in the Christian church; maybe not in positions of ministry or clergy, but accepted as integral members of the church. If Christianity would show more compassion and love and acceptance of homosexuals, the ability for God’s love is more easily accessible to those who see it as a doctrine of hate against them. With the acceptance and grace from a faith under attack, there will be an extreme potential for the softening of each heart that offers love. And if homosexuals become invested in the Christian church and are accepted and loved by others as to themselves, then who knows…maybe the power and love of God will transform the closed hearts on either side.