The People You See on The Bridgeport - Port Jefferson Ferry | The Odyssey Online

The People You See on The Bridgeport - Port Jefferson Ferry

Who do you see on your way home from school?

18

After many times using the ferry service to go from school to home and back again. I have seen many names and faces cross paths on the boat. I have seen old friends from high school and even made new friends from other schools. But these are the people I see the most on the ferry.

1. The Businessman

This gentleman, works for a foreign hedge fund in Stamford or Greenwich. He feels stressed about his job and all the mergers that are occurring and because of the stress he is greying at the mere age of 45. On the 4:45 ferry out of Bridgeport he sits down and forcefully takes his tie off with a happy snarl on his face that the hectic work week is over. He is happy to go home to his wife and kids after a busy week.

2. The Elder gentleman

This man, he has clearly traveled the world far and wide. He has been to all 50 states and many more countries and you can tell by his calm traveling routine. He is probably in his mid 60s or 70s and is either traveling to visit an old friend or is unfortunately attending a funeral. He is wearing the stereotypical elderly gentleman clothes, a button down that appears flannel, khakis that contain a wallet, a razor cellphone and probably a pair of glasses.

3. The College Student

Possibly the person writing this article. This person has taken the ferry a few times both with and without family. They are probably heading home for the weekend to hang out with family or friends, maybe even their dog. They are dressed very casually but still look nice given that the local colleges are extensively preppy to the point that Vineyard Vines and Lilly Pulitzer can get roughly 1,000 new models every fall. You can find them sitting in bunches pounding away on computers and brand new iPhones or chatting away gossip of who is friends with whom this week.

4. The Normal Guy

Traveling for some reason that could be found above, business, pleasure, who really knows or cares. This person is just hanging out on the boat, probably reading the New York Times or taking a nap. The world may never really know what this quaint gentleman is up to because he keeps to himself. One may find he is more of an exemplary traveler than the elder gentleman.

5. The Dad/Family

First off, this guy has body goals, like who doesn’t want to have a dad body? Like I work out a little, but I am also aware of my beer gut that has been here since sophomore year of college. He is usually traveling with his family, which consists of his 2 younger kids who are at a loud and bratty age where they proceed to annoy the college students and older families on the boat.

Don’t get me wrong, the Bridgeport – Port Jefferson Ferry is a great method of transportation, but the people-watching experience one has while on such transportation is superb.