The Magic Of Hamilton

The Magic Of Hamilton

An exploration of a supernova.

714
The Magic Of Hamilton
Google Images

Unless you have been living under a rock the past few months, then you have certainly heard of the hip-hop sensation sweeping the Great White Way. That's right, ladies and gentlemen. I'm talking about Hamilton, Lin-Manuel Miranda's masterpiece of modern theatre that is revolutionizing (pun intended) the way we tell stories in theatre. If you do happen to be one of those people hidden under a rock, here are the reasons why almost everyone under the sun is obsessed with this cultural phenomenon.

1. It is teaching American history through modern culture.

When Lin-Manuel Miranda began reading Hamilton's biography on vacation, he did not expect to find a compelling story of a man who gave up everything to move to a new land and ultimately create a new country. Finding a fellow immigrant in Hamilton, Miranda set out to tell this 18th century story through his 21st century voice. The result is a piece where the founding fathers and mothers are played by a diverse range of people that match the landscape of our land today.

2. The music is a perfect mix between Broadway and Top 40.

The 18th century doesn't normally bring rap, R&B, and hip-hop to mind, but Miranda ambitiously creates the clash between the past and present. Jefferson and Hamilton rap their cabinet debates with Washington as official. Elizabeth Schuyler sings a Beyonce-inspired love song when she meets Hamilton. The second act begins with a jazzy Tin Pan Alley number and there is a sensible heartbreak ballad to tie it all together. The mixture of musical flavors comes together to create one catchy musical score.

3. It highlights Alexander Hamilton's importance in American history.

Most people know Alexander Hamilton as the face on the 10 dollar bill (who is about to be replaced in favor of a woman (yes!)). What most people don't know is how far Hamilton's influence has impacted our country's history. He played a essential role in the Revolution as Washington's aide-de-camp and as a commander at Yorktown. As Secretary of the Treasury, he created the financial system that paved the path for America to succeed economically. That's definitely important enough to be put on money.

4. It is not afraid to confront the controversial parts of his life.

While Hamilton's accomplishments to our country's history cannot be denied, history shows he was an incredibly controversial figure amongst his peers. His inability to compromise on a variety of issues isolated him from members of the Cabinet and his party. He also cheated on his wife and became embroiled in the nation's first sex scandal when he had to admit his infidelity to disprove allegations of exhortation. All of this is presented in the musical, but with some fierce angry ballads.

5. Its strong portrayal of women in a patriarchal society is inspiring.

For many, the standout characters of the show are not the founding fathers but the women behind them. The three women in Hamilton's life are portrayed by a group of harmonizing, belting beauties that all work within the confines of their society to express their views. Angelica emphatically calls for a sequel to the Declaration where women are equal. Eliza establishes the first private orphanage in New York City after her husband's death. Even Maria, Alexander's mistress, allows herself to express her sexuality in a world where such a thing was taboo. Allowing the women of Hamilton to use their strength is refreshing.

6. It reminds us all of the importance of keeping stories alive.

Death is a recurring theme in Hamilton. We see Hamilton's family die one by one throughout his childhood. His obsession with his legacy and his tendency to "write like he's running out of time" remind us that there will indeed be a day when our time runs out. In Hamilton's case, every other founding father got to grow old and have their tale told. In the beautiful finale, Miranda asks the real hard-hitting question: "Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?" If that doesn't make you pause for a second, I don't know what will.

7. Lin-Manuel Miranda is the theatre kid in all of us.

This work of art would not have been possible without the talent of its lyricist, composer, and star: Lin-Manuel Miranda. Already a prominent presence in the musical theatre world, Hamilton has shot him out of a cannon and into the world of superstardom. Amidst the hubbub, he has remained a humble and hilarious presence. His fangirl tweets about celebrities coming to the show and his happiness at fulfilling his childhood dream of being in Les Mis make him endearing. Stay gold, Miranda.

8. It ingeniously references its musical theatre roots.

Being the musical theatre fan he is, Miranda adds a delicious assortment of easter eggs throughout the score to delight the ear. George Washington proclaims himself "the model of a modern major general" and then raps his way through the Siege of New York. There is a little Last Five Years reference and even some South Pacific knowledge dropped in the lines of the show. These are just a few, there are many more.

9. The show is being made accessible to people who would not be able to see it otherwise.

The popularity of Hamilton is a double-edged sword. It is enjoying sold-out crowds, but ticket prices are ranging from the upper hundreds to the thousands. For those who cannot drop that kind of money, there are options that the management has come up with. There is a lottery two hours where winners receive front row seats for $10. The show also just received a grant that will allow 20,000 New York City students to see the show at that price. What a day to be alive, ladies and gentlemen.

10. #Ham4Ham is the greatest pre-show entertainment ever conceived.

Speaking of the lottery, Miranda has put his own innovative spin on waiting in line for hours. His pre-show performances with acts ranging from the cast cross-gendering the Schuyler Sisters to Fiddler on the Roof rapping have developed into a phenomenon of its own. Due to crowd control issues, it has now moved online where Miranda posts daily videos of it on Twitter. Enjoy the fun without all the claustrophobia!

11. AND PEGGY

Peggy Schuyler may not be in the show for very long, but she certainly makes her mark. In her only number, she steals the show with her enthusiastic "AND PEGGY!" A new musical theatre legend has been born, ladies and gentlemen.

If this article has inspired you to go and see this marvelous musical, you had better give your soul away to someone because it will be sold out for years. The closest thing you can do is curl up in a ball with the soundtrack and feel all of the feels. In fact, that's exactly what I am going to do right now.